Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more of a summertime question, but i would like to find out ahead of time.

So I live right off the Nansemond, and love to kayak fish. I've coasted down bennets creek and out into the river for croaker, but after a trip to the gulf region I've wondered about jigging the grass for reds and trout. What do ya'll catch in this region? Is there a possibility of saltwater fish this far up towards the james river?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Fished Bennetts Creek many times. I have never caught a trout in there but never really targeted them. Have caught spot, croaker, puppy drum, stripers and catfish

·
Registered
89 Posts
I mostly fish from bennets creek too and have wondered the same thing. I bet they are there, just far and few between when compared to other spots. There are striper in the nansemond, but no luck for me there yet. Ive caught and seen and rays and seen a baby flounder swim on the surface. Caught alot of spot in a bait trap but not on a hook yet. And lots of catfish there in the spring. Have you tried fishin the shoreline structure and dock pilings for perch yet? That works pretty good in bennets creek goin up the creek usin little spinner baits.

·
Registered
509 Posts
i live on the nansemond. rockfish are at every dock that has lights during the early winter months, ive caught trout up in the nansemond but always when i was croaker fishing with my girlfriend. Rays are very fun to catch in the kayak, we kayak out to the electrical towers and catch atleast half a dozen rays and they will give you a good ride in a yak. if you want to catch flounder you can kayak out to the M&M. there are also puppy drum at the smallboat channel at the m&m. peeler crab near the channel and you will catch atleast one keeper puppy drum :p but no luck on jigs. just bottom fishing.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
They do catch puppy along the grass lines. I know for a fact if you go deeper into Bennetts Creek there are some nice catfish. I nevernhave caught any off a ploe but I do catch them in the crab pots. I'm talking the next to last peir and back. There is a nice hole between the next to last pier and last pier in the bend between them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info. I've caught plenty of croaker, no cats yet, but looking at the grass I just had the feeling that it would be extremely good for Reds and Trout. I wish I had thought of striper when we could still keep 'em in the bay, but oh well. I spent a lot of gas getting to Lynnhaven.

I know where I'll be fishing this spring, thanks again guys. If you see a dude out there in a ghetto rigged bright orange Malibu II Yak, that's me.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Wanna catch speck. trout and redfish out of the kayak go to the Elizabeth river now and launch at Chesapekae Yacht of off Shipyard rd.
Was there Thursday and got a ride from a redfish.Lots of speck being caught.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts