Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know in my many years of fishing that I have crossed a few eyes of my prey when I have hooked up but this is the first one I have seen with a fat lip. :yes: This fish showed up in the chumslick on Tuesday and was released immediately. Not sure whether I should have surgically removed the growth and let him go or bagged it for the fish biologists. Has anyone ever seen a growth on a fish like this one? Maybe he was hanging around the Nuke power plant to long. Wood Floor Road surface Tints and shades Flooring
Fish Seafood Scaled reptile Wood Electric blue

·
Registered
215 Posts
I know in my many years of fishing that I have crossed a few eyes of my prey when I have hooked up but this is the first one I have seen with a fat lip. :yes: This fish showed up in the chumslick on Tuesday and was released immediately. Not sure whether I should have surgically removed the growth and let him go or bagged it for the fish biologists. Has anyone ever seen a growth on a fish like this one? Maybe he was hanging around the Nuke power plant to long. View attachment 164938 View attachment 164946
we're all used to rockfish with lesions, sores, growths, etc. by now and that's not a good thing. I catch a lot of rockfish throughout the year and have had a good spring. last year we easily boated over 1000 rock over the summer and the vast majority of them were clean and healthy. with that said, I've never seen one with a growth like that. the first thing that I think of when I see this is the smallmouth bass caught in Susquehanna river last fall that had a very similar looking tumor. it was recently proven to be cancer...not saying that your rockfish had cancer, but man, it sure looks a lot like it...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Pretty gruesome...that would have been a good one for the biologists. Showed my wife the photo...she doesn't want to eat any more of em. Sure does look similar to the Harrisburg smallie with cancer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts