Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any chance of finding striper within 3-4 miles of North East park for a kayak trip or would I have to drive to Havre de Grace? I don't want to spend all day paddling but North East is a lot closer.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Especially if you are already on the Eastern Shore, I think it's the best place to launch at the moment to fish the C&R section of the flats. You'll have to paddle down river to the southern end of the flats, but that's a much shorter paddle than from Tydings (Havre de Grace). Most of the fish I've heard about being caught have been on bait on the southern half of the flats.

The DNR maps illustrate this:
Now until 4/20:
Maryland's Striped Bass Recreational Regulation Map 2

4/20 to 5/2 (or perhaps longer if water temps stay cold enough):
Maryland's Striped Bass Recreational Regulation Map 3

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in the Fair Hill area of Elkton so north east is much closer and I am much more comfortable driving to North East with a kayak on the roof of my little two door. My Hobbie Adventure should be perfect for the trip. Weather.com here I come to try and pick a day.:clap:

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
You're adventure is perfect for the flats, though I may be biased. I've done 20+ mile days on the flats in the adventure...

You'll have no problem getting around assuming you have decent leg endurance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am with Jeff Edwards, perryville Park. It is only a few more miles driving from NE. Or you can drive out Turkey Point and put in at the swimming beach at the State Park.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Dana - Just wondering... is the swimming beach of the State Park located on the Flats side of the Elk Neck Peninsula or on the Elk River side??? A few years ago during the fall (off season), I did several exploratory trips by car of the Elk Neck Peninsula. Every time I passed the enterance to what I assumed was the beach area, the gate was always closed. Also, how far of a carry is it from beach parking to the waters edge??? Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
HJS the beach is on the NE River side. It is only a couple hundred yards from the parking lot to the beach. I portaged my canoe down there a few years ago and it wasn't too bad. Not sure how legit that is in the eyes of those that feel the need to be concerned about such things, but it is easy access to the flats! hehe Since it is a swimming area, the gate may be closed this time of year. When I did it it was summer and I just brought the canoe along on a family picnic.

It definitely saves a long paddle down from NE park.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts