Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fished the Catchin' For Kids this weekend...

Capt meeting was fun...SeanMerron met me at the house for last minute details...

Left Captains meeting and loaded up headed to boat...at the boat at 8:30, not too bad I'm thinking...started to fire everything up, Suzuki ran like a top, tunes coming in load and clear on the stereo, USCG clear as a bell on the VHF...last thing was to clear all tracks off GPS to start with a clean GPS track... fire that mutha up and....NADA...and so it was to be for the entire weekend, fishin' too...

I'm not leaving the dock on a no moon night, even if its clear as a bell to navigate my way around the bay, no GPS, no radar, no sonar, no network...no nothing...radio, stereo, lights, they all work...nada on the Garmin Network...

First, you have to appreciate the fact that electronics manufacturers are still using glass tube fuses in an age of blade fuses...

Second you have to understand my console and boat layout, shes 28 foot of lean mean fishing machine...with an 8' beam and a standard console...enough room to walk fore and aft OK but you have to be a contortionist and a masochist to access anything electronic in that console...so I end up laying down trouble shooting the entire electrical system in the dark, laying on the frosty, icy deck getting soaked to the bone cause I'm sweating like a pigeven in 28 degree weather trying to reach in and negotiate the 30 years worth of wiring "updates" and "upgrades" since she left the Master Marine factory to join Sun Young Moons Bluefin Tuna fleet...lots of wire...I mean LOTS OF WIRE under there and the access hole is all of 11 inches wide and picture me trying to contort my 5'6" 210 pound body sideways into an icy wet walkway another 14 inches of so wide with little to no light casting shadows everywhere inside the consoles maze of a wiring harness...

OK...I'm tracing the entire electrical system by now... so about 2 hours into it I find an fuse holder buried in behind the network boxy thingamajig...One I might not have checked for the third time...I had Sean verify as well cause I c'aint see squat up close...and whatdayaknow...blown fuse...No Problem....just get one of my trusty spares...NOPE...trusty spares not to be found...OK...I'll send Sean over to the 7-11...I've seen fuses in the automotive section next to the oil for decades...Sean comes back...empty handed...OK...you stay here with all the gear while I go get one...its now 10:30-11ish...I leave Marina Shores and hit every gas station on Shore drive, every store on Great Neck, First Colonial all the way up to SUPER K-Mart...no old style glass fuses...tons of blade style but nada on the old school stuff...

By now its 11:30 or so...I cant leave Sean there by his self so I swing by and we load up all the gear head over to the house and look there...hop onto Noah's boat, Sea++ maybe I'll "BORROW" one from his electronics...NOPE...everything he has is either blade type of 5 amps or more...I need a 3 amp and with a blown fuse I wasn't about to chance putting a higher amperage fuse into a suspect system...rummaging around my electronics tool box I finally did find a couple of 3 amp blade fuses and thinking I'd swap out the fuse holder for a blade type holder I looked for one...NOPE...3 spare old school tube fuse holders but not a single blade holder...OK...but hey these fuse blades look like 1/4 inch male blade connectors...hmmmmmmm and lets see I've got a box of 1/4 inch female blade connectors...OK....male to female...cut out the old school holder...crimp the female blade connectors to each end and connect the wires to the 1/4 inch male blades on the 3 amp fuse...field expedient repair just might work...over to the boat,

Does everyone know that the speed limit on Shore drive is now 35 for its entire stretch instead of the 45 it has been ever since I moved here 11 years ago? I do now...Officer Friendly of the VBPD kindly reminded me of that fact at 12:33 AM about 1/4 mile before the Crab Creek boat ramp eastbound on Shore Drive...47 in a 35 zone should run me about $100 or so in bait/fuel/tackle money sometime in the near future...Oh well...haven't had one in 35 years or so now...I probably deserved it...

So...Sea++ meets us there after his company Christmas party and down to contortionistville again and make the repair...fire the mutha up and BIG BRIGHT GARMIN START UP SCREEN staring me in the face...warming up the display tells me the water temp is 40.4 degrees...cold...in my experience way too cold to be really productive...but hey...lets go fish...

Make the high rise bridge by 1:15ish and start soaking eels in 41 to 42 degree water...about a dozen or so boats there and it was C...C...C...Cold...My clothes are wet from laying on the floor and sweating earlier and now the cold is soaking in...I climb up into the front of the boat under the dodger and out of the wind to get warm...NOPE...not going to happen...I hear Sea++ and Sean laughing and carrying on and then I catch myself snoozing and wake up teeth chattering and roll over and bury my head into my coat and foul weather gear and try again only to repeat the cycle over and over again...about 4:30ish we are about the only boat left out there...and I crank up and run in to catch Capt Max leaving out with a charter...he asks where the fish are looking into my Tahoe and I tell him its no joy...

We head to the house for a couple of hours of sleep...check NOAA and SCW as of noon all the way thru Sunday PM...but hey...we're fishing...back at the boat at noonish and out...round the outer channel marker and its a little snotty but hey...we're fishing...

Plan was to run out in search of warmer water, either at the ocean front or south...with the intel I'd gathers so far it was getting obvious that the skunk was about and I was thinking that any decent fish could and maybe would be a money fish...so game plan was to get warmer water, get a fish in the box and haul azz to the weigh in...running out to near the 3 mile marker was what I was planning on doing but as I was running in a sloppy 3+ foot chop I noticed the water temp was climbing up the further out into the bay...past the CB demarcation line it hit 44 degrees, turn north into deeper water between the demarc line and the 3 mile limit I found 47.5-47.8 degree water in 75 foot of water...THIS IS WHERE WE FISH...off plane and set a spread...Stretches, Tomics, Parachutes, Dredges...you name it we pulled it...nice variety...

Marked THOUSANDS of fish suspended in 25-35 foot of water...adjust spread to get into the "target rich environment"...trolled 2.5 mph to 4.5 mph varied speeds, up current and down...

Did I mention it was a tad snottier that forecast? I've owned this boat for a few years now...shes got as much Carolina flair as a Harkers Island special..she was designed as a rough water boat to fish BFT off Martha's Vineyard...she handles a sea pretty good but sometimes that 8' foot beam kinda leaves you wanting a little more beam...its was Rock and Roll Hootchie Coo...and further out to the north it was a solid 3 to 4' with an occasional set of 6+ footers thrown in for good measure...on one of these larger sets I ended up stuffing the bow coming down the backside on one...Noah (Sea++) was up front and got about 3-4 gallons of Chesapeake Bays finest 47 degree seawater into his Grunden's, he wasn't wearing the top...just the bibs...that TOOK HIS BREATH AWAY FOR A FEW MINUTES...back behind the curtains he came and stayed for the rest of the day...

We trolled for a few hours and then past weigh in and headed in tails tucked between our legs...arrived back at the dock to hear of only a few fish caught by tourney anglers and to see one boat who had gone out solo to the Plantation Light with 2 NICE fish (his limit) a bigger slot fish and a trophy of at least 40+ inches...he wasnt fishing the tourney...He got kinda sick when i told him he probably had $4-5K in fish laying there on his deck...

I've got to admit that I didn't feel so bad when I learned of so few fish being caught that it wasn't just us getting skunked and even better when I learned that even the Charter Boys were getting skunked as well...didn't feel so bad at all...

Hell of a couple of days of fishing but I wouldn't have traded it for anything in the world...good time on my boat with my son and Sean out in the weather, snot and suds having a good azz time...

I couldn't fish Sunday as had friends from outta town coming in and with a forecast of even worse weather thought it better to bow out as I was sore as hell anyway from getting bounced around...

Then I drive across the Lynnhaven Inlet Bridge today around noon or so and see the bay slick calm...or at least this side of it...

So who did win?

Capt Beach

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I feel your pain..... Wait I did! My electronics issue was trim tabs Sat but glad we fixed it as we rounded ft wool headed to the 2nd. We caught a few of those nasty 4-5 foot NOAA 2-3 footers too !!! Worked our tails off for Nada.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
MAN WHAT A STORY! you couldn't have given a better try than that. feeling safer about buying my F150 the wife's explorer from y'all!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Suck. Skunked and a ticket. I got caught going too fast last Tuesday in the same spot. I haven't been stopped for anything worse than a broken tail light in almost 20 years. That guy doesn't believe in warnings, does he?

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
WOW, that is one serious :rockingreport: . Sounds like a tough adventure, but a good time with your son which is the key to it all:thumbup:

Thanks for putting together the report, I could feel your pain while reading. Here's to hoping the weather and fishing improves:fishing2:

·
Registered
126 Posts
It was a rough weekend. I know of a few anglers in the tourney that fished night and day, and NADA. We were fishing in a 19 foot boat, and did not have the luxury of running around too much. We were very fortunate on saturday. We got out to the shipping channels between the cabbage patch and cape charles around 5am. Ran a few lines until it got light, and put out 4 more. Saw a few nice fish running 16-20 feet deep. We adjusted some of our rods, and was fortunate to land a nice 50" 48 lber at 7:30am. I though wow, thats too good to be true. After seeing a few more fish running deeper, We adjusted more lines to get to them. Had a nice fish on about a hour later, and she got off just short of the boat. I would guess around 40-45lbs. Lost another one a litttle later, and that was all she wrote. We saw alot of fish sunday, but could not get one to bite. We had a blast, and were very fortunate to win the catchin for kids tourney. The crew at Oceans east, and the Tournament committe put on a Class I Tournament and social event to help kids that are not so fortunate.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh everything is sorted out NOW...don't know why I blew a fuse but its up and working now...spring project is to rip out the console, check the tank, repaint the inside of the hull and rewire the entire boat and Electronics System...

·
Registered
7 Posts
We fished the tournament also. We have recently had the same kind of luck you had. This tournament we had better luck.

We were drifting eels off the concrete ships Saturday morning 7:30 AM when our long line got snagged on a buoy. We were reeling up lines when a fish hit my 8 year old son Spencer's eel three feet under the water right next to the boat. I saw the fish come up eat, splash, turn and run about 50 yards out. He came in and tried to run around the back of the boat near the engine. Spencer held his ground and the fish finally came up and we netted him. Spencer's fish was 44" and weighed 32.65 lbs. We caught another fish on the next drift, same area which weighed 24.75 lbs.

Spencer’s fish took 1st place youth. He won a very nice 40" wall mount rockfish replica plus a rockfish trophy. His fish also took 4th place overall out of 48 boats which paid $672 plus rockfish trophies for the entire crew. Only five fish were weighed in on Saturday and a few on Sunday. Water temp was 43/44 degrees all weekend. The largest fish weighed in at the tournament was 48 lbs which I believe was caught by some anglers from Bugs Island fishing club.

With a total weight of 57.4 lbs entered we won the Rockfish Club Challenge for the PSWSFA (Huge Trophy) and the overall two fish Calcutta ($2700). We were the only team to weigh two fish. Our smaller fish also won the mystery fish prize on Saturday weigh in. Which was a custom rod and reel, bucket full of lures, Surf rider gift certificate. We also won tickets to a hockey game, a rod & reel, and a box full of atomic lures in the raffles.

They had the best prizes, raffles, sponsors, food that I have seen. They collected hundreds of toys for the Marines Toys for Tots program. It was a Great tournament. We will be back next year.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That was some tough fishing. Good catch. good to see your boy catching that fish, and what he expierienced. we were glad to get the big one in saturday morning. we did loose a good 40+ about a hour later just behind the boat, but thats how it goes sometimes. after hearing how everyone else faired, we were fortunate to get what we had. There was one other boat that caught 2 fish, but his weight was 50 lbs...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks. We were very fortunate to catch anything. After all the reports, we were glad to have something to wiegh in. To have my son catch the big one completely on his own was awesome. We thought we had a good chance at the youth division. We didnt have a good feeling about the two fish calcutta until the scales closed. I didnt hear about the 50lbs. I wonder if they are going to put the pics from the tournament on the website.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts