Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those rigging up new fishfinders...i got a deal for you!!!
Today whilst browsing at Virginia Beach BLVD boat us...(looking for SS ring for anchor trolley system) i found a really great deal on 12v sealed gel acid batteries. They are designed for portable flashlights ( the 1.5 gazillion candlepower type) they are almost half the size of standard ones everyone has (less weight), and come with a neato little nylon holder, with a belt loop (to be worn as a functional, yet incredible stylish accessory)..... The way i look at it is.... zip tye the holder to a scupper hole tube inside your yak (regain floor space), the holder has a velcro closure to hold battery secure. The batteries are 16 bucks, rechargable, lightweight and come with a holder...perfect for a yak!!! :)
I already have a charger...(that isnt included) So i can kiss my AA's goodbye!

Hope it helps!

Chris from ND...

·
Registered
468 Posts
I've found another great battery option. I've been able to run across a couple of expired emergency light batteries (the kind of lights found in most commercial buildings). Since they have to be replaced every so often to meet code, they are fairly easy to come across for free. I'd say it weighs about 2 to 3 pounds.
I'm not in a kayak but my portable fishfinder setup is a piece of 8"x8" PT plywood with a bungeed battery and screwed down fish finder. Just plug in the transducer and you're good to go.
I usually have one charged up and ready to swap out when needed but I must say they last for a long time.
If anybody wants a pic just b-mail me.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Depth Finder.... Last year,I bought a Humming Bird smart cast df.It is ideal for kayaks,canoes shore fishing etc.It is remote controlled.The screen is a watch or strap on fishing rod type.The transducer is about the size of a green hockey puck.You tie the Transducer to a fishing rod so you can cast it or you could use a string from a vessel.The screen uses a watch battery.By being able to cast it,you can locate fish in areas around you either from shore or a boat.They cost around $100 or less.I got one at West Marine that came with a spare transducer.They're really a nice gadget.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Smart cast will work if the water is still, start moving and you get an erratic signal. I tested the protptype two years ago for kayak fishing, and it did not do well. They are coming out with one that will fit into a scupper hole.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm digging up this old thread as I am interested in getting a finder, but having 3 boats don't want three finders or even 3 mounts for one finder, so I'm interested in a Smartcast.

Did the scupper mount make it to reality?

Are these usuable on a yak as is? Maybe with a makeshift mount to hold the transducer steady as you paddle to get readings?

P

·
Registered
37 Posts
You might want to consider a portable finder to use on your three boats. That way you just pick up the unit and carry it where ever you want, when you want. I have been using the Eagle Fishmark 320 portable for a year and am very pleased. The battery compartment will take D batteries or a sealed lead acid (SLA) battery. I use the SLA and get excellent run time with it. It's more costly than the smartcast but the quality is well worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts