Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been a topic before, but we are looking to upgrade our fishfinder. We currently have a B&W Humminbird w/ a 5 1/4" screen. No GPS or chartplotter. We primarily flyfish on the bay. We want to go with a system that has chartplotter, GPS, maps with topo + color for UNDER $1,000.

Any suggestions? We're looking at Humminbird system that should run about $900 installed with all of the above.

Anything we should be looking for OR avoiding in a system?

Thanks!!!

Chris Detweiler, Harrisburg PA

·
Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
1,109 Posts
Chris....Good luck with your search. I went with the Garmin color combo a few years ago. I loved the GPS but was not real impressed with the sonar. I added a Furuno digital finder and now have the best of both worlds. It ended up costing a few more $$ than 1K, but the pair works perfect for me and I have a spare sonar if needed.

At the time BOE was giving the best price... shop around. This time of year you might just find a bargin.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Chris, I second BOE (they are right in Eastport). Ask for Jim and explain what your looking for in a unit. I've been happy with my Garmin. Easy to read and very bright screen. I'm sure they make a small unit that might be a good fit for your boat. Good luck.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Chris,
Take a good look at Lowrance before you buy anything else. They have served me well for 15 years and they have a great service dept. Garmin would be my second choice. Furuno is great but will cost you more.
Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts