Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No problem - I'm just curious. I can run my Cobia, with a 115 Yamaha, at cruising speed (or even full speed) and the fishfinder is fully functional. That is, I can detect, say, schools of trout while in the cruise mode, stop and catch them (i.e., they really were there). I have been told that this is unusual and that most fishfinders only work at low speeds. Certainly I can see that differences in installation would be an issue, but do you really usually expect fishfinders to NOT work at higher speeds?

In the long shot that I ever get a bigger boat, I'd really hate to lose the capability.

Thanks

Jim

[smile]

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
it's not an expectation but an improperly mounted transducer will cause that problem....and it happens alot!

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Yeah, things like trim tabs can cause interference w/ the turbidity if you mount them too close. When I 1st mounted my transducer I didn't tighten it completely, so when I'd get up on plane it would kick up and read nothing. I tightened it this past spring and now I'm good to go w/ reading bottom well past my 25mph cruising speed.

Transducer installation direcetions don't always take into consideration things like trim tabs and outboard brackets.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Sounds logical. It sounded odd that I would somehow luck into it functioning at all speeds if the expetation was that it shouldn't.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I've got 2 FF on the boat and neither one work properly while on plane. Both transducers are mounted on the transom and have the paddle wheel for speed. The trim tabs cause them not function properly. While she's out of the water this winter I'm going to install thru haul transducers and use my GPS for speed. The darn paddle wheels are a pain in the butt anyway and always need cleaning. Heck I only need my speedometer when trolling anyway, the rest of the time I run by RPM's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts