Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had some success on our trip to OBX this past weekend, fishing in the 20 - 40 mph winds (sustained 30+ Saturday night). We fished near the Oregon Inlet Bridge and tore up the flounder on mullet, shiners, spot, and speck rigs. A buddy and I caught maybe 20 total. We abandoned the flounder catching tactics in hopes of catching something else, as we saw a few drum caught nearby. We also caught one stargazer and a blue at about six pounds. Surprizingly that was the only blue we caught.

What I am amazed at is how rough the water was to be catching flounder. Up here in Maryland, if water is that rough and dirty from wind and rain, people would basically say, "No point in fishin for flounder today!"

Anyone else have success this past weekend?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Where at around the bridge were you catching the flounder? I'm coming down next month the week after thanksgiving and was wondering if they will still be there.

Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
fished thurs all day and friday for a half day in the am fishing in the marsh inshore. at oregon inlet..
fishing wasn't what i was hoping for on my fall break...but oh well....certainly should have been better for mid oct...but we caught tons of little specks and saw plenty of bait but finding anything classy proved difficult...we ended up with 6 decent keeper specks from 16 to 20 inches, 2 rock fish....1 being 20 inches, 2 keeper flounder... one was 20.5 inches, and 2 puppy drum=always released....

found a small school of rockfish maybe 20 or so...with lots of current and structure...extremely clear water...couldn't get any bites :hammer:...finicky...water too warm?

all fish were caught jigging...best colors seemed to be white...and to some extent chartreuse worked well for the specks...

cheers,
carey

·
Registered
335 Posts
fished thurs all day and friday for a half day in the am fishing in the marsh inshore. at oregon inlet..
fishing wasn't what i was hoping for on my fall break...but oh well....certainly should have been better for mid oct...but we caught tons of little specks and saw plenty of bait but finding anything classy proved difficult...we ended up with 6 decent keeper specks from 16 to 20 inches, 2 rock fish....1 being 20 inches, 2 keeper flounder... one was 20.5 inches, and 2 puppy drum=always released....

found a small school of rockfish maybe 20 or so...with lots of current and structure...extremely clear water...couldn't get any bites :hammer:...finicky...water too warm?

all fish were caught jigging...best colors seemed to be white...and to some extent chartreuse worked well for the specks...

cheers,
carey

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hammy, Thanks for the info. I've fished that area before, don't think i've ever seen it that rough before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts