Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the recent post about a missing boater in the Choptank, I wanted to recommend a wireless kill switch I installed on my Whaler. It is made by Fell Marine and currently on sale for around $160.00. It is completely wireless, and you wear the shut-off on a bracelet or loop it on you. I know whether recommended or not a lot of us like to fish alone, myself included. My family bought this for me last Christmas for when I crab, so you can move around the boat untethered. When the bracelet gets a certain distance from your dash the engine shuts off. Currently I keep the bracelet looped on my auto-inflate life vest so I do not forget to wear it or leave it in the truck when rock fishing. It also meets the new Coast Guard requirement of wearing a kill switch when under way. I also keep a thick line with a step loop cleated to the back of the boat to be able to grab from the water to aid in re-boarding. Granted this all may not save you in extremely cold water but it just might. The video on the Fell Marine web site is worth a watch.

· Registered
468 Posts
Sounds like a very user friendly alternative. Im good with mine, but not always 100 percent. Thing happen when fishing and crabbing and I catch myself unattached.
Does it have a override feature incase of overboard or malfunction bracelet?

· Registered
1,385 Posts
Searched it to find more info on why they chose that name.

"/ About FELL /

IN THE BUSINESS OF SAVING LIVES

FELL is a Norwegian developer and manufacturer of marine electronics. We specialize in wireless safety technology. The company has leading edge experience with wireless technology and has great experience from product development, electronics and manufacturing. FELL is a company driven by innovation. We develop products that change the markets we operate in. Innovation happens when knowledge meets creativity and courage to approach things in a different way. FELL aims to become a world leading technology company which improves its customers lives through user friendly technological innovation.

Our values
FELL is Old Norse for mountain. Our Norwegian maritime culture and heritage is reflected in our core values, innovation, quality and courage. These values are the essence of how we operate and are synonymous with the Norwegian maritime culture. Only through living these values can we create products that contribute to enhanced maritime safety and value for our customers.
Innovation lead us to create WiMEA, a new standard for kill switches. Unique wireless technology, carefully selected materials and focus on user friendliness give our products superior quality."

· Registered
221 Posts
Seems like it happens every year on the bay. People don't seem to realize how dangerous it is fishing alone in cold weather. Once you fall into the water you're as good as dead. It's like working on a skyscraper without a safety harness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts