Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be on the Outer Banks next week and I was contemplating taking my 17' Whaler with me. We will be staying in Buxton. Are there any launching ramps nearby? I am under the impression that the Sound would be a good place to fish. Are there any fish being caught there now? Any flounder?

I have fished the surf quite a few times down there but now I am wondering if I am missing something by not taking the boat.

Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
There is a ramp in frisco at Scotch Bonnet, also two ramps in Hatteras Village At Village Marina and at Teaches Lair. Take the boat, it's beautiful in the sound. Caught some noce specls last year, also there are a lot of fish around Hatteras Inlet, especially next to the ocean side of the ferry channel heading towards the inlet. I wouldn't take the 17 foot boat too far out the inlet though....I still have fingernail marks in the steering whell of my 21 ft boat from a trip through there last year...

·
Registered
915 Posts
ditto on what Chef said,grey trout and flounder should be the ticket and maybe spanish and cobia by next week. good luck and don't forget to report when you get back.

I will be down the 12-18 but I will be in nags head. mike

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got back from a week's stay in Buxton. I did take the boat and I would never go back there without it. The fishing was great and it was fun having the boat there. Thanks for the advice.

-ron

·
Registered
678 Posts
What did you catch and where did you go?
I am headed down with the family in Two weeks and dying to try anything!
I will have my 18' boat and willing and able for anything!
Any suggestions!!?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take your boat down and launch from Teaches Lair. It's a great location that is about a 10 minute run from Hatteras Inlet. Cross the inlet to Ocracoke and fish the shallows around the channel into the ferry landing. The channel is easy to find because it is marked and you will see the ferries running in and out of the landing. It seems like the best flounder fishing is about 2 hours before the ebb tide. Drift fish in about 6 feet of water using bottom rigs with minnows. We caught all of the flounder between the Ocracoke ferry landing entrance and the northern tip of Ocracoke Island.

Also, try drift fishing the sound side of the inlet. We caught bluefish in there on every pass. Sometimes we got them 2 at a time. It was a blast.

The mackeral should be running strong when you are there.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Thanks for the info! I fished once in that area and did very well on the gray trout, and had one flounder, but we were using jigs and not minnows. Would love to load the cooler with some flounder! Can't wait. Bluefish are tons of fun as well. Sounds like the inlets are the place to be for sure.
Thanks again. I'll post results on the return![smile]

·
Registered
678 Posts
Fished our of Oregon Inlet with moderate success. Had fun with some hefty triggerfish we found about a mile out of the inlet on a grass line and then tried for the cobia that were cruising the same line. No go. Saw two NICE Jack Crevalles (20lbs) but they spooked the two times we saw them. Caught three triggers and two sharks about 3'. Nice pullage though.
Caught one small Cobia in the inlet at Hatteras. Was chasing a crab on top and inhaled a white bucktail.
Thanks to EH and his bro for a nice day on the water in the Reglulator.
Weather man sucks. Got blown out for the offshore trip. Cobia saved the day and got the skunk off the boat.
Would definitely not go down again without the boat.
Next time though, no family. I only fished two days out of seven. That will change next year. Thanks to all for the info!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bet the Cobia was a blast to catch. A friend has been telling me for years to take the boat down there. Now I know what he means! I can't wait until next year.

He also told me that I would be lucky to get 2 good fishing days during a week's stay there. He said the wind kicks up most of the time. I think he was right. But even 2 days worth of fishing offset the hassles of towing the boat for 7 hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts