Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the cold and maybe some ice on the decks, what other things could go wrong when fishing when its below freezing? I have outboards.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Rod guides freezing, frozen spray on the windshield, ice clogging deck drains, ice on the deck, ice all over affecting handling, etc. If you're prepared to deal with it great. As for myself when temps are forecast to stay below freezing I find something else to do.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Rod guides freezing, frozen spray on the windshield, ice clogging deck drains, ice on the deck, ice all over affecting handling, etc. If you're prepared to deal with it great. As for myself when temps are forecast to stay below freezing I find something else to do.
Ditto Joe! Rockfish ain't worth losing your life!

·
Registered
649 Posts
I agree with Joe on this one. I have fished on head boats when the temperature was in the teens. But they have high, heated railings and heated cabins to hang out in when not actually fishing. My boat isn't set up for it so it stays in the driveway when temps are below 32 dgrees.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I think one leason we sould all learn from the accident this week is that things can go wrong very quick. We run out at night and are in the open bay and if we hit something or take on water all the preperation may not be enough. What happened this week has really made me re-think how I go out at night and or other times when there are not a bunch of other boats all around. I'm going to try and use the buddy system and when going out at night hook up with another boat heading to the same place like the high rise. This way if something does go wrong you have someone right there to provide help. I just think if you go down in the middle of the bay going or returning from the CBBT there is a good chance that help will arive too late. The CG can only get there so fast and if your in the water it will also take them longer to find you and it might not be enough to save your life. With all the guys making this trip I'm sure we could do a better job of networking to make it a sfaer night on the water.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Hop on the Reel Escape and slay some stripers! Have HEAT and a 43' Viking will travel!!! Not a fan of small boat ice fishing.........

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Well, seems most won't go out in below freezing weather, but one thing to look for if you do is the fuel water separater. Make sure there is no water in them. The water freezes and clogs the filters. I know this for a fact, having had it happen to me. Also, keep a spare for this problem.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
you go to the james @ 14 degrees & deal with this.

ps that's danny (captdavedavis01) with his 1st big cat. (notice the mustang suit)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
aw it wont that bad now....

the live bait froze solid to the bait bucket in minutes

the fish we kept froze solid in the cooler by the time we got back to va beach...and we didnt have any ice in their

the boat ramp was like a ice skating rink

the line freezing on the spool was a new one for me

thanks again for the trip

Danny

·
Registered
958 Posts
Fished with 2" of snow in the cockpit a few years ago and broke ice on the way out of the creek. Hopefully, I am older and wiser and won't do that again. On the other hand, we did catch fish that day. Be sure you have a boat with a lot of freeboard and a solid transom for weather like we are having now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts