Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished out of Salt Ponds yesterday with friends from Germany. Beautiful day, but flounder fishing was scant, managed one 18 incher for the afternoon's efforts (on the slow troll rather than drift, flounder rig with squid strip on 6' leader). PLenty of coraker and a few sharks of course. A few boats chumming for cobia, I saw one hooked up.

Two questions:

#1) What are your thoughts on fishing early Saturday morning? I was hoping to try the big bridge, 2nd Island and that's a 45 minute run in my slow boat. Would you try and dodge the T-storms or stay put?

#2) I haven't seen or heard of much flounder fishing going on in my usual spots and I have never managed more than one keeper in 4 trips now. I usually fish close to Salt Ponds so, Bluefish Rock and Back River Reef are my goto's. Is flounder fishing that bad or are you guys who are catching them just keeping quiet? If the latter, would you mind giving a fella some help?

Thanks,
Brad aboard the Miss T
Wellcraft V20

Attachments

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Brad: I kept a boat at A dock for 30+ years. I no longer fish very often, however I still am active in fisheries management and live in the Hamton Bay Condos at 1038 Port Harbour Arch, my back steps are 30 ft from A Dock. With the poor fishing and heat, I have not been out on the dock much this summer; but will look for you from time to time. One of the boats on A dock has been catching mediums sized flounder at the CBBT for the last 3 weeks; last Thur they returned with 17 keepers. The only decent reports have come from the CBBT. Just a few years ago , on weekends and afternoons, the Salt Ponds dock was a flurry of activity with anglers cleaning fish at every station....the dock has been very quiet these last couple of years. You obviously love the water and fishing. Here's hoping salt water fishing in VA will improve . I will look for you.

Dr. Bob Allen, Hampton VA e mail [email protected].

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Dr. Bob,

You probably know my mom and her husband, Judy and Wayne Grigg. They live right there too and Wayne keeps his 12 ft skiff at A dock. I kept my boat here back in 2012 and never came back with fewer than 6 big flounder every trip. There was a triple outboard Triton back then that always came back with a limit - he was up to secret stuff, aka holding position with the boat and jigging structure. That's pretty impractical for me since I'm usually taking novice anglers, I usually only have one other person with me and I don't know the spots. Thank you very much for the reply. I really want to try 2nd Island tomorrow, but I think I'm gonna have to tell my guys we have to leave at 5 and be back by 11 with the way the weather is looking. We will see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts