Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I wnated to take a minute to introduce myself. I recntly moved into Delaware and put a downpatment on a new 18' CC and anticipate making more than a few trips out on the lower DE bay and a few rivers as well. Anyone wishing to share some ideas on getting started would be most welcome and maybe we can even arrange to go out together for a day? I look forward to being able to make some valuable contributions over time, once I figure out all the abbreviations, etc. :) It seems like a great bunch of people willing to help each other and I hope to become a part of it all. Doug

·
Registered
118 Posts
Welcome aboard Delman! I live at Bowers Beach, but usually trailer my boat south to Mispillion to fish the lower bay, or Indian River inlet to fish offshore. Let me know any questions you have, I'll try to help. The below website usually has more info on Del fushing. Good luck. OUTCAST

http://www.cafelocale.com/cgi-bin/discus.cgi?pg=topics

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ThanksOutcast, I enjoyed the website and like here, it seemed to have a wealth of information. OMG, I also realized after reading my post I need to use spellcheck. *grin* I supose I just need to get out and get my feet wet and use the board as a learning tool so in time I can not only enjoy the water once again but also catch an occasional fish along the way. I pick up the boat next Thursday, but may have to wait a few days as we'll be taking care of three grandkids for a week, lousy timing, eh? Right now, no lifejackets for them so unless I can find some I won't be able to take em out for a ride, but with some luck I'll be able to slip away one morning possibly two. Thanks again, Doug

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Doug,

Weclome to Delaware! WEhere did you move from?

I retired and moved to the Lewes area in May this year from MD after trailering my boat down here for over 20 yrs. Great fishing in the DE area. Spring and fall are my favorite fishing times since I haven't tried going Offshore yet.
I like to fish out of Indian River Inlet(IRI) putting at the North DE State Marina or Massey's in Longneck, Roosevelt Inlet in Lewes(RI), and Missipillion. Delaware Bay is producing loads of Croakers and some flounder. Yesterday went to "G" Buoy at the Anchorage and caught over a dozen short flounder which were tossed back and brought home some nice croakers and a blue.

The Salfish Board(SF) site listed below is the best I've found for the delaware area. It is an "offshoot" from the Cafe Locale Board and is much better IMHO(in my humble opinion).

Do a search on the TF or SF board for a post on abreviations!

I'm always looking for someone to fish with in my boat or on theirs. I've met and fished with a lot of great people I've met on these Fishing Boards. My wife goes back to teaching school in mid August so I'll have more time to fish and am looking for some to go out. I will go out myself, but prefer to have company , plus I've learned a lot fishing with the different people I've met.

Saltfish Board Site:
http://www.thelongneckpage.com

If interested in hooking up or if you just want some info, e-mail me or call.

Mike

302-644-0989

·
Registered
118 Posts
Word of caution: Unless you've been running boats for years, I wouldn't take grandchildren out until you're very comfortable handling new boat. Granddad might just look stupid, and that's the Best Case scenario. Good luck,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your words of wisdom Outcast, but I've been out on a boat on more than one occasion and even spent six illustrious years in the USCG cruising the Chesapeake Bay. But most likely they won't get a ride on the boat unless I get the proper PFD's to protect them and my backside. *grin* It has been a while since I've launched a boat and longer yet since I've tried to do any serious fishing, and never did get it right. It seems like on most occasions out I had a few crabs traps and spent a lot of time in the Wye River, great crabbing there.

Thanks for the great info Mike and don't be too surprised if you get a call one day and I take you up on your offer. It seems our lives parallel in a few different ways, with myself also retiring from the Maryland area, a government employee who got a chance to retire early/pre 55 and grabbed it. I spent most of the first part of my time in DE doing some work on our house and after we moved in my folks also moved nearby so I did some work on their house as well. I told everyone when the warm weather hits the handyman jobs were put on hold. The list is growing BTW. *chuckle* I'll be picking up the boat on Thursday. It has basic gizmo's such as a GPS, fishfinder and depthfinder which I'll have to figure out right off, but figure I'll have a bit of time as the grandkids come to visit for about nine days starting Tuesday. Hopefully, I'll sneak it out, maybe in the Nanticoke and get the feel of it, but hopefully after they head back home I'll be able to get up to either the Bay or IRI, wherever the fishing gives me the best shot at hitting a few. Also like yourself I'll most likely be doing a lot of solo runs so finding someone who has been there and done that sounds good. Gonna run for now, Thanks to everyone for being helpful. OH, I will check out the webpage you gave me, Thanks again, Doug

·
Registered
158 Posts
Delman, Boat US has a loner life jacket program through cooperating marinas and stores. Look up their we-site for locations in you're area. Also I just bought 2 new 50-90# life jackets for my daughters friends to use from West Marine that were on sale for $20.00 dollars apiece. Enjoy the boat, Lance.[smile]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Lance, I appreciate the information. I'll be looking into Boat US as well as find a local west marine and see if I can't pick up enough PFD's to fit the kids. It would be kinda crazy to pay all that money for a new boat and scrimp on safety items for the sake of a few more dollars. That was the entire reason to buy the boat so everyone could enjoy it. I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks, Doug

·
Registered
93 Posts
Doug,

You might want to check with "COWBOY" on the Saltfish Board. He owned a store that sold marine stuff which he was liquidating. In the Spring I bought a Coleman full length life preserver with a special piece at the head to turn a child face up and a handle to lift them back in the boat if they went over. It was brand new and in the original bag for $10. I don't know if he has any more available. Send him an e-mail.

Tight Lines and Fair Winds!

Mike

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
308 Posts
Delman,

Welcome to the board! I fish mostly out of Lewes, around the walls, lower bay, and shoals. Looking forward to the Fall run of stripers. What kind of 18" CC are you purchasing?

CB

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi again, the new CC is a Palm Beach, 90 HP Yamaha 2 stroke, no frills type of boat I'd suspect most would believe, but it has everything I need and should be good enough to get out on the bay and IRI, etc. and take a stab at catching a few fish along the way along with the valuable help of so many people on the board. I'm just chaffing at the bits to get started now. With my pending visitors I think I'll just use that time to get familiar with all the components of the boat, mostly how to use the GPS as most everything else seems straightwforward. Then starting the following weekend I'll be ready to hit the waters. How does everyone find the launching on weekends, I know I used to launch on the Chesapeake on weekends and it was murder, may wait and head out on Monday, as I imagine it'd be a lot easier. Hope to see and meet everyone out there soon, Doug

Thanks for the tip Mike I'll send an mail off to Cowboy and ask him. D.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
308 Posts
Launching out of Lewes last weekend wasn't bad at all Sunday around 6:30. When the stripers start running in the fall, you need to be there at 5:00 AM to get a parking spot in the lot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.