Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out Sunday, working from the Bay Bride to Eastern Bay. I have been catching alot of fish in this area the last couple weeks, but nothing or 30". I Was going to try to target these fish a little more on Sunday. Do the big fish eat eels alot this time of year if so where should I fish with eels(what depth?) Or will I have a better chance catching the larger fish just trolling?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
I caught a 35-/36"er on an eel a couple a weeks ago by the bay bridge. I caught mine on a bobber dropped about 12' in about 25' of water. I had another one take an eel at 6' below a bobber in the same area. My neighbor had 3 fish eeling the bridge last friday night. I think they were right around 30". They caught theirs on the bottom as the tide started to slow. We were there for a few drifts before they caught the fish but tide was running too hard and ended up with nothing. We only had a few smaller fish earlier jigging.

Here is the one I got on an eel with lighter tackle.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Eels work best if you can first find Rock with your meter or fish a good piece of structure- bridge/wreck/rockpile.

Right now there is alot of 6-14 inch baitfish around and this is why trolling large lures works so well.

If you are serious about big Rock- IMHO trolling has the better odds.I'd run SE towards Bloddy Point and zig zag south allong the channel edges.

Better yet would be to trailer to Breezy Point and fish from the C/R marker to #78.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts