Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 23' World Cat that I currently fish both the CCBT and offshore VA and NC. I am weighing the risks/opportunities to chase bluefin next weekend out of Hatteras Inlet. This is of course, assuming the weather cooperates and my crew is game.. I have fished for and caught yellowfin, marlin, wahoo, mahi, etc. but these bluefin are a different beast altogether.. My questions: as a migratory fish, I assume these schools are heading north for the summer and may not continue to feed much longer... what temp breaks are they at? Depth and bottom contours more important? Are they out in the deep water (100 fathoms) or closer in? Fishing HI, are they too far north to make a 2-3 hour run from HI?

Any help is appreciated...

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
We fished yesterday out of OI and the BFT and the fleet were up near the point already. That's a looong run from Hatteras on any boat especially a small boat. OI is doable if your worried about the crack just follow someone if your not comfortable because it is tricky. You need to look for the temp break with life. As far as what temp break; it depends on the fish. A few weeks ago a subtle break in temps from the 50's to the low to mid 60's in 60 fathoms were where they were and yesterday there was a hard break from the upper 50's to the low 70's in 100+ fathoms and fish were caught on the warm side. Like you said there are risk/opportunities just wait for the right WX window and Good Luck when you go.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Roffers, or other, report
Flying Gaff
Lots of ice/fish bag
HMS Permit
NC License

Evan.

Fishing from the Norfolk Canyon to the Gulf of Mexico aboard the GW 330 Express DAWGONIT

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.. I have heard of reports from OI and the Point.. but haven't heard anything out of Hatteras... unless they are all going north to the Point... way too far for me from HI.. Still trying to decide if OI should be tried for the first time for me in the dead of winter... Need to think about that one...

Thanks again.. If we manage to go I will post results...

Roger

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you go on a light southwest wind the inlet and ocean will not be an issue. Just follow some one out the inlet who has been before and save your track on your gps and get back well before dark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts