Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fishing for blues on the James River once and had pretty good luck - does anyone have any helpful hints or tips for when I go back again (such as bait or location)? I went out of Jordan's Point - are there any flats caught around there?

·
Registered
471 Posts
A few flats have been caught in that area, but I personally have never caught any there. Had one in a gill net last summer when I was catching bait behind presquile, weighed 19lbs. The river is full of bait right now. Do you use a throw net or gill net for bait?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one time I went we bought bait - I have never caught my own. We went out of Jordan's Point - would you recommend going there again or Dutch Gap? Wanting to learn how to catch my own bait. I have a cast net I use for minnows. Would it be worth getting a gill net? Going this coming weekend - looking for all tips. When we went last time shad were jumping out of the water. Can they be caught with hook and line? Are they being chased or feeding?

·
Registered
439 Posts
catch you bait at the polls at deep bottom. Its best there when the tide is mostly out. A heavy cast net with 5/8- 1 mesh works best. As for fishing fish as deep as possible, or around structure in deep water. Make sure you have enuff wait to hold it down, 8- 10 oz. sometimes. If I can help more let me know.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I would go out of Jordan Point, bait can be found behind Presquile, but also throwing the net in and around the Marina at Jordan Point can produce bait. Last week when I came in the shad where jumping out of the water between Jordan Point and the main river channel.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Any cast net will do, but the bigger the better and faster to collect bait. River is full of shad. They seem to be on the flats and in shallow water. Anything 4' or less.

Fresh bait and fish in front of something the cats can hide in or behind to break the current.

Don't pass up the MOST OBVIOUS structure.[wink]

Dayton

·
Registered
156 Posts
I CAN HELP YOU WITH SOME HOLES ON THE JAMES BELOW THE GAP. THIS PAST MONTH I'VE HAD LUCK IN DEEP AND SHALLOW HOLES, YOU JUST HAVE TO FISH THEM BOTH AND SEE WHAT WORKS OR PRODUCES BETTER FOR YOU. I CAUGHT THREE 40'S, 1 57.6 AND ONE 61 THREE WEEKS AGO OUT OF THE FLATS AND SOME IN 30-45 FEET OF WATER. JUST B-MAIL ME IF YOU NEED ANY HELP. AND BAIT CAN BE FOUND ANY WHERE IN THE RIVER ESPECIALLY NEAR SPILLWAYS AND MOUTH OF CREEKS. JUST WATCH OUT FOR THOSE DAMN BABY CATS, THEY ARE A PAIN TO GET OUT!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts