Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have been wanting to go catfishing for a while now but haven't had the chance or knowledge on were to go. I'm currently on deployment but should be back state side early spring, if anyone has an opening on their boat I would be more then willing to pay for gas, bait or what ever is needed.

·
Registered
320 Posts
we fish for big cats on the James river below Richmond. Some good places to put in our at Osborne landing, Dutch gap(right next to the power plant), and Deep Bottom. When catfishing, look for deep holes on the depth finder. outgoing current is the best. good bait to use is cut herring or shad (you can catch it with gill nets or buy it (Green Top)). A good place to get on is Katmasters.com. You might be able to find a ride and you can learn a lot from there. I am Jamesrivercatchaser on there. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Blizzard or Jamie or anyone that cares to answer...

I know where green top is, how far is from Gt to the ramp at the powerplant?

I worked for Vulcan runningn the William Poole for a few years, so I got a good general idea of some fishy sopts. I just want to get a layout of the tackleshops and such shoreside.

Im wanting to go up there one day soon, just need to coerce a experianced guy to show me the basics.

Danny

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
I drove up to Greentop with my HO K~61 last week, just to check the place out - Gander Mountain is 3 blocks away and there is a brand new Bass Pro Shop close by too.

You know how to get ahold of me Nate - just call.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Cats on the James

There are plenty of fish in the james... If you get back in spring, I will gladly take a service guy out fishing. and show you some spots.. Its the least I could do for someone serving our country. There are good spots south of Osborn at the 295 bridge. also off any of the deep south facing points down the river. Also in spring the shad will be running.

I live 1/2 mile from green top.. If you want to fish for Cat's on your return. Please call me and I'll take you out. Neil 804-244-0611

Thanks for your service and personel sacrifice

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Hey Nate !! Wanna try some warm water catt'n, Smith Mountan Lake style ? I hate this cold weather !

·
Registered
782 Posts
danny we can go up there one day...we can get all the bait we want at my house,that way were already baited up....
we may need the heater though.....kinda chilly....up in the mountains I was slaying some rainbow trout and had to chew the ice off my rod tip to cast each time.....soon as the air got to the wet line it would freeze....still got them though.....
appeciated the invite last night......sorry I had to work 16 hours.....my last night is tonight.....

·
Registered
320 Posts
Green top is about 30 -45 minutes away from osborne or deep bottom give or take a little due to size of boat and traffic. looks like you got plently of other replies and good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts