Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade the electronics on my boat. I'd like to go with one of the GPS / Sounder / Radar packages I see out there. I've had some luck with Garmin and I've had some luck with Furuno. I bought my last stuff at Martek when they were in Stevensville.

A few places have the Garmin Gpsmap 741xs Radar Bundle W/Gps Chartplotter Sounder, Us Lakes & G2 Coastal for just over $2K before accessories. Are any of you running this system? Do you like it? If not, does anyone have a recommendation on what to look at and where to look for it?

Thanks for your time,
Sam

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
If you are looking at the 741xs go for the 1040xs much bigger screen, great unit.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I got the lowerance GPS with side scan....works great and easy to use. Lots of great units out there today for sure Have fun in your search

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Most units today are awesome. Whatever you get, someone will introduce an even better unit within six months - but all the features you need are out there now. If you're going to include radar, study up a bit - broadband units show stuff much closer to the boat whereas pulse radar cannot pick up objects closer than 40 - 50 meters. Broadband uses far less power and does not require any warmup, pulse radar requires time for the magnetron to warm up. But pulse radar is superior with regards to "seeing" rain and birds. Installation of pulse radar also requires a higher knowledge/skill level as pulse radar can fry other electronics on board if the firmware is not "hardened".
I have a Lowrance setup - 3G broadband radar, down scan, side scan, engine data , two 10" screens. I find the downscan to be of more use to me than the sidescan; but I rarely troll. Trollers may find the sidescan of more value. This is my second boat with sidescan - first one had an outboard on the transom. With a transom outboard or an I/O and a transom mounted side scan transducer the lower unit will block some of the side scan view on the opposite side of the boat from the side where the transducer is mounted. Transom mount transducer and bracket mounted outboard gives you a great view on both sides.
One more point, no one has ever complained about having a screen that was too big. Go for the biggest screen you can fit on the boat.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
a 7" wide format screen is a small screen for radar. You may be better off getting the 8" XS if you want Garmin.

If you like your electronics to last a long time, go Furuno. Cost more but they are most stable and durable on the market. It is why you tend to see them on commercial vessels. (look at the tugs going up and down the bay alone) They dont have the down scan or side scan stuff but still offer about the best fish finder on the market. (what we are really interested in). I upgrade to furuno after my Garmin system started acting up after only 5 years of use and Garmin wouldnt service the unit because it was out-dated.

www.BOEMarine.com on Kent Island is a good electronics dealer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Go straight to the new Garmin 7600 series. Built in Chirp. Next generation side scan. Awesome. It leaves all the other options left wanting.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I just put a Garmin 7608xsv with a B150M airmar from BOE marine. Also adding side scan. Great unit....also love the iPad app that gives you remote control of the screen.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Check out Simrad........awesome electronics, and you can probably get a NSS8 package pretty cheap. Extremely user friendly, and a pretty good size screen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts