Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about giving Spanish a try. Never trolled for them, if someone could give me a few tips,it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Silver, gold and Chartreuse flash 00 Clarke spoons (although the hooks stink on the new ones) on the smallest Sea Striker planer. 5-7 mph. Drone spoons work too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I asked the same question a couple years ago just prior to being a boat captain for the Military Appreciation Day event out of Wallace's. I had two forum members direct me to Steve Lane at Green Top Sporting Goods near Ashland. If you can go there, see Steve. I told him I wanted to get set up for trolling for Spanish, he handed me a basket and said follow me. He took me through the fishing area putting lures, leader material, bead chains, split rings, etc. in my basket, explaining how to rig everything. Then he took me to the electronics area and brought up the area on a unit and showed me where to go, how to put my spread out, trolling speed, etc.
When we came out of back River the day of the event we ran to the spot he showed me, set the lines out and had a very good day catching Spanish, and repeated that with last years event.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
#1 tip!
When landing, hand line in till you have 4-5' of leader and flip the fish strait into a cooler with ice. Let him cool down a while before removing hook.
With body of fish in cooler, I pull line till its head is just out of cooler-- Then I clamp the fishes head down with cooler lid ,then remove hook. No BS-- Those teeth are small but will cut you BAD!

You can never have 2 many rigs ready..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used to troll a lot for Spanish with my dad. I have fond memories of the little league Spanish mackerel tournament that they do around Lancaster county in August. I think it's still up and running so you may want to give that a shot. And ditto on the sharp teeth!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's one of the things I want to do this year. Every tin I go to sandbridge it seems like the Spanish are everywhere. Looks like fun on light tackle.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I used 20 -25#.. Kinda depends whats in stock at store. Funny, was I was just getting ready to order from Amazon..
20, I believe I do get more fish but also more cut offs.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Went yesterday
. They were chewing . #1 planers or in-line sinkers. #00 spoons 18-20 foot leaders. Here is a pic of our 4 man linit.
Great report. Where were the catches?? What was the average size?

We had a horrible year for Spanish up in the Northern Neck last year. Been having big concerns they were going the way of the large grey trout (which disappeared about 15 years ago.

We've had three consecutive years of decline in the Spanish fishery up our way. mcvsticu, I hope you are bringing us good news.

Joe posts . . .

·
Registered
328 Posts
#1 tip!
When landing, hand line in till you have 4-5' of leader and flip the fish strait into a cooler with ice. Let him cool down a while before removing hook.
With body of fish in cooler, I pull line till its head is just out of cooler-- Then I clamp the fishes head down with cooler lid ,then remove hook. No BS-- Those teeth are small but will cut you BAD!

You can never have 2 many rigs ready..
Nice Charlie! I'd suggest a different approach (one I've used countless times) for those who like to donate blood :wink44:

My excuse for shedding so much blood for the Spanish is my intense desire to get the rig that caught back in the water ASAP. I often find that one of my rigs is "hot", either because of the depth or the color. Sometimes it is due to the fact that it is perfectly fresh out of the plastic. For tournament days, I insist on always pulling a couple of new ones.

Joe posts . . .

Result of hasty handling ... so take heed ... and listen to Charlie.
DSC_0937Compressed.jpg

DSC_0940Compressed.jpg

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Great report. Where were the catches?? What was the average size?

We had a horrible year for Spanish up in the Northern Neck last year. Been having big concerns they were going the way of the large grey trout (which disappeared about 15 years ago.

We've had three consecutive years of decline in the Spanish fishery up our way. mcvsticu, I hope you are bringing us good news.

Joe posts . . .
Joe, He fishes further south and east than I but our areas overlap somewhat. one reason I moved down the bay was I found myself fishing here more often..
Now that I got even bigger boat I plan to push out to nearshore waters!
The big grays and blues will not return till ALOT more forage is available. They have to have something to feed on in order to grow! ( don't see it happening in my lifetime.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Nice Charlie! I'd suggest a different approach (one I've used countless times) for those who like to donate blood :wink44:

My excuse for shedding so much blood for the Spanish is my intense desire to get the rig that caught back in the water ASAP. I often find that one of my rigs is "hot", either because of the depth or the color. Sometimes it is due to the fact that it is perfectly fresh out of the plastic. For tournament days, I insist on always pulling a couple of new ones.

Joe posts . . .

Result of hasty handling ... so take heed ... and listen to Charlie.
View attachment 207881

View attachment 207889
Believe me.. I understand the desire to get hooks in water!
Use the cooler lid to hold the fishes head, then remove bait!
( I rigged up 6 more spanish setups today-- So I have plenty of what -ever color there hitting, quick change outs. Boxes holds 32 rigs ready to go)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Joe, He fishes further south and east than I but our areas overlap somewhat. one reason I moved down the bay was I found myself fishing here more often..
Now that I got even bigger boat I plan to push out to nearshore waters!
The big grays and blues will not return till ALOT more forage is available. They have to have something to feed on in order to grow! ( don't see it happening in my lifetime.
Very interesting ... especially your point about moving "down the bay". That has seriously been on my mind lately.

I have written denials by VIMS and NMFS that there is no issue with the greys and Spanish. The latest official response on that topic from NMFS has been that the suggestion that the fishery is depleted is "hyperbole", but yet they cannot produce a bit of evidence of having counted one large grey in 15 or more years. I would love to be proved wrong about the greys ... but show me some real evidence in your catch data. The only thing they can produce are the counts for the small greys ... but hey, I will admit if I am wrong to the fishery community if you produce solid evidence of significant grey trout catches like we used to see.

The first part of fixing a problem is recognizing it. The sports fishing community recognizes the issue with the greys and blues, but our tax payer funded scientists do not. Go figure. My apologies in advance for launching into a pontification on this subject, but folks need to recognize the impact of an economy to a lost fishery. I have to remind all my realtor friends that people like me will choose different places to live and second homes based on a healthy fishery. The trickle down effect is tremendous. The guys and gals who run/operate marinas and charter services totally understand what is happening. I wonder if your tax $$ would be better spent acquiring the scientific catch data from them?

Joe sends . . .

·
Registered
73 Posts
Speaking of grey trout, we caught one Sunday jigging for flounder south of 3rd island. 19", biggest I've seen caught by rod n reel in quite a while

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Speaking of grey trout, we caught one Sunday jigging for flounder south of 3rd island. 19", biggest I've seen caught by rod n reel in quite a while
Nice been since @ 2003-04 since I caught keeper gray. Last yr I caught a TON of small 6-7" ( just the size to fit thru nets) so they are around.. They just are not getting to any size... I believe there is not enough forage to support fishery.. Over-fished? Not 100% sure.. Miss Managed? Defiantly!
Like he said they don't even recognize there is a problem!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts