Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GF and I were up in Richmond yesterday to fish for catfish in the morning. We were set-up on the James next to the I-95 bridge for a bit when all of a sudden, she sees a 5 ft sturgeon leap out of the water. Being avid fishermen, we wanted to know if you can fish for sturgeon in the James and if so, how you do it?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
To put it more specifically to Virginia.

§ 28.2-303. Taking and sale of sturgeon prohibited; penalty.

Except as otherwise provided by regulation, it shall be unlawful for any person to take, catch or possess any sturgeon. Any sturgeon caught by any person shall be immediately returned to the water.

That being said it is also unlawful to take, catch or possess 8 other species of fish such as red drum outside of the slot, speckled trout smaller than 14" and on and on. I am grumbling at folks at VMRC about adjusting these regulations but surgeon is in state code and IMO as a minimum it should include the words "to fish for" or "to target" sturgeon.

Certainly you can not keep them and they are endangered. Please do not target them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My GF and I were up in Richmond yesterday to fish for catfish in the morning. We were set-up on the James next to the I-95 bridge for a bit when all of a sudden, she sees a 5 ft sturgeon leap out of the water. Being avid fishermen, we wanted to know if you can fish for sturgeon in the James and if so, how you do it?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

There is a good article about Va, Sturgen in the CBM, Chesapeke Bay Magazine

·
Registered
29 Posts

Thanks in advance!

Chris

If you encounter a sturgeon please contact us at 1-844-STURG 911 (1-844-788-7491) or via email [email protected]. Data collection can help biologists look at trends over time which in turn can lead to necessary protections for an endangered species like this one.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Data collection can help biologists look at trends over time which in turn can lead to necessary protections for an endangered species like this one. If you encounter a sturgeon please contact us at 1-844-STURG 911 (1-844-788-7491) or via email [email protected].

1 - 7 of 7 Posts