Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be around Hampton Roads for Tgiving, then spending an extended weekend at New Point in Mathews. With access to the spit, is there any point in bringing my gear, maybe even a kayak? Don't have surf sized rods, so I'm hoping for near-beach rock cruising around...

I fish around there a bunch in the summer, but I normally don't get the opportunity this time of year...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Short answer is yes. Bring your gear especially the Kayak if you are experienced and comfortable in cold water fishing. I've caught 30+ inch fish in less the 5 feet of water in December mid Potomac and I've caught small rock on bottom rigs from shore in January. Always a chance. Water temp is still up in mid 50s so they are perfectly comfortable shallow and if any bait is around they will be too. I'll be out on Thurs/Friday working shallow to deep and fully expect to pick off at least one shallow before going out to 20 to 40 feet to jig. Wind is supposed to be down both days so it should be safe and good fishing from the yak.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
(new point area) Open water fishing for Rock has terrible! Have picked up a few casting at structure.
York spit and Mobjack bay today. 1 bite while togging and nothing trolling. Lots of birds looking but none working bait. Not even showing bait on fish finder!
I plan to run up above wolf trap to look around tomorrow seems they have not made it down.. Hopefully soon! (fishing Wednesday/Thursday, maybe Friday depends if my Daughter comes to visit)

I don't remember Pelicans being around this late in yr.. But I bet I saw 100 today! (very few Gannet)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts