Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since moving to Palm Beach 9 years ago the bulk of my fishing has been within 10 miles of the inlet and most of it within 3 miles. The edge of the Gulfstream meanders very close to the Palm Beaches and at 3 miles out you can be in 200 ft. of water. Friday I got a late start and met my friend Gary who tags Dolphin for the Government. Gary is a dolphin catching machine. He has a 25ft Contender with a 300 hp Yam. He invited me and my friend Jason to follow him to his secret tagging grounds. Twenty Eight miles later we were six miles from Bahamian waters an fishing big mats of Sargusum that held all kinds of fish including bar jacks, tripletail, peanut dolphin, banded rudderfish and many other species. Off 20 yards on both sides of the weed line are where the big Dolphin and Wahoo hang out. Casting my Tarpon outfit which is an 8 ft Shimano terramar rod with a new shimano saragosa 8000 sw spinning reel loaded with 65 lb. braid and a 80 lb fluorocarbon leader with a 7 in Chartreuse bass assassin, the big Dolphin couldn't resist it. It was 10 to 20 lb. Mahi on every cast. We kept two around 20 for the box and released everything else. Jason had a big bull on around 40 lbs. but after 5 jumps in spit the hook. I lost a good fish that bit off so we guessed it was a hoo. This was wild fishing in 3000 ft of water that was so clear around the weedline you could see down forever. The blue water in the Gulfstream is just a beautiful shade of cobalt blue that is quite amazing. We fished that weedline and two others and at 4 PM we turned the Blackhawk west and headed for the port of Palm Beach. My new 200 hp Zukes with 20 hrs. on them got a good break in. The 27 ft CC just flew across the almost flat ocean Until we got into 115 ft of water where the reef holds all kinds of snappers and Grouper. Unfortunately nobody was chewing except some toothy Kingfish. We changed to Kingfish rigs and Jason kept one around 15 lbs. for fish dip. A nasty looking storm chased us home where we cleaned the boat and filleted the fish and partook in a few tasty adult beverages. BTW it was in the mid 90's with a heat index of 108.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Awesome report!! I just got my first taste of the blue water a month ago out of Oregon Inlet, and its all I want to do now...

·
Registered
11,251 Posts
I'm surprised you had to go that far off to catch fish. When I fished there during winter, we only had to go 2 mi. off ? You could fish the stream in a 13 ft. whaler and watch the people on the beach. You can't beat Palm Beach if you like big game fishing and don't want to make long runs. Especially for winter Sails in jan./feb on LT spinning gear.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Must be nice. Was just in NC and we had to go 50 miles to reach the stream.

·
Registered
197 Posts
dang thats awesome. last time i ran 30+ miles i ran down past bloodsworth island only to get a couple dink rocks and a a couple o croakers. sure beats the heck out of that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts