Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my family and I are renting a cottage in Nags Head the last week in June. Would like to do some surf fishing and the pier is about 1 block frome the house.
Was hoping to get some fishing ideas from anyone who has fished the area. Also was wondering what bait & tackle stores are in the area.
One more thing, would like to buy a bushell of crabs to munch on down there if anyone could recommend a good seafood store in the area.
Sorry for all the questions but we have never been to Nags Head before.
Thanks, Lance.[excited]

·
Registered
913 Posts
hey cheif i would love to give you some helpfull hints, do you have anymore information,, like where you are staying or a least what part of nagshead ,, so i can give you better info ??

·
Registered
805 Posts
Go South on 58 and stay on the right side as if you were going to Monteo. There will be a fork on the road but stay on your right as if you were going to Monteo, just after the trafic light/intersection to Hatteras look on the left side, there is a tackel store there. For crabs, make a left from the tackel store parking lot and just before the bridge to Monteo there is a crab shack at the foot of the bridge, if you go on the bridge you went too far and you need to come back over again.

Good luck to you, nice area but the bite is slow right now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sanflea, we will be at mile marker 12 right next to the Nags Head fishing pier.
Would like to thank all that responded, if you are ever in the North East MD area and need some info. be sure to drop me a line!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hey cool , thats where i fish when im up in that area . I have fished nagshead pier for years .. If the water temp is good you can fish right in the surf off the pier for trout early in the am . usually the right side of the pier is better . i usually fish with a grub of some sort or color , i caught one there last year that was 191/2 inches ,, pretty good . also you can try in the surf with some gold hooks and shrimp for pompano, its a little early for them but you never know . and then you have the end of the pier for spanish and blues , normally with a gotcha plug of some color , but watch out if the spanish are in there it will get crowded real quick . That pier is really nice and the people are friendly .
you can call them they have a daily fishing report recording everyday , and its usually pretty accurate . # 252-441-5141
GOOD LUCK !! [excited]

·
Registered
432 Posts
LANCE,
Let me know by Bmail when you get down and I'll get you some crabs from my little brother, they'll be cheaper that at a seafood market. The Nags Head pier is a good pier to fish from, especially if it's only a block from the house. You can always call them ahead of time and find out what everyone is catching, the number is 252-441-5141 or http://www.nagsheadpier.com/

DP
"Harvey's Hookers"
222 Aquasport

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sanflea & DP, again Thanks!
DP, can I b-mail you before we leave to get a phone #? We will not have a computer with us is why I ask. Plan on getting a bushel on Monday, 6/26 to munch on for a couple of days.
Lance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Creek behind Bodie Light gorgeous w/ bait jumping...but tough for the long rod by 6am when my bait tossing friends got set up, which blocked the area by the creek...wished them well and headed off to OI.

Tip of OI provided a first...could see pods of 3-4 flish (blues?) in the waves as they set...backlit by the rising sun with me looking straight at them as I waded...heads down and acclerating as the waves crested...strong headwinds limited my shots...no takers...

Finished the day strong as wife/mom/kids landed --and released-- two dozen nice stripers livelining croakers under the bridge from the Heather Lynn...Cap. Lonnie and Mate Tanner did us right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lance. When pier or fishing from my boat. I like to use fresh shrimp.
However you wont be able to get fresh shrimp at the bait stores. I buy my shrimp at Austins, or Seamart. What I mean by fresh shrimp is shrimp that has never been frozen. It's more expensave but works much better than old shrimp. My rule of thumb when purchasing bait is: If you wouldn't eat it. Dont try to feed it to the fish. Worms, and squid, are the exceptions.[wink]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.