Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new boat this year and am looking forward to a great season. I have been around boats my hole life and have taken some boating classes I also have fished the bay as a younger child and am excited to be back on the bay. I don't have a lot of knowladge about the bay but am looking for any help that I can get. I live in the Richmond area and don't know if there are any meetings around here. I am also looking to go target stripers the first weekend of May. (yes RACE weekend) I will be going out of the deltaville area. What are some good areas to target, and what speed do I want to troll? Thank you for any help and good luck to all.

·
Registered
258 Posts
VTFISHER, I also am from Richmond (west end) and venture to the bay and rivers as often as possible. I also just purchased a new (used) boat, a 21 w/a. There is a small group that got together this past January at a watering hole down in the fan area. A TF member that posts on the VA board by the name of REBEL (chesterfield) set it all up. It was pretty cool. Theres talk of another meeting at some point. Another good group to get with is the Northern Neck Anglers Club (which reminds me to re-up) Capt. Dave Compton, who posts on this board, kind of heads that up. Alot of meetings happen down that way in Heathsville, Kilmarnock, Etc. and they have club tourneys and cookouts - alot of fun.
As far as trolling this or next weekend, I haven't been out of Deltaville much but for Rocks try the main bay channel "cut channel" and go north to Smith Point light or so. Check the VA regs though, I'm not sure on there keeper numbers for this spring season. I'll be trolling the Potomac out of the Lewisetta/Coan River area (same distance from Richmond) and buoy's 65 to say 70-72 in the bay. Good reports from these areas lately-see Mushy's report. Maryland regs though at 1 per/person, 33" or larger and only 2 hooks per lure. I pull white and yellow umbrellas with no or 4-6 ounce inlines, a mojo with any trailer - not necessarily on the bottom but deeper than anything else. And then way,way back, a tandem bucktail rig or spreader bar. Some poeple said purple headed lures have been hot also. Pull at 2.5 to 3.5 mph.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info and keep me informed if there is another meeting in the Richmond area again. I will give the stripers a try and see what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was in the same EXACT position as you last year. Unfortunately, I didn't discover Stripers until the Fall. In the Spring I stuck mostly to Croakers, because I was not yet comfortable enough with my new boat to troll by myself.

There are lots of LOTS of fish to be caught right at Windmill Point, including stripers, croakers, spanish makarel, bluefish--depending on the time of year.

The secret to my sucess last year was to make LOTS of trips to Greentop Sporting Goods in Richmond. Without exception, I caught fish every time I followed their advice. I would simply go there to buy my tackle, and while I was their I would ask:

-What is biting now?
-What should I use to catch them?
-and where do I catch them?

There was one guy in there named "Steve" that I found particualrly helpful.

If you want to talk more, then just bmail me and I can give you lots of good advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts