Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
headed down there what kind of action can l expect on the rock fish or other fish this time of year going may 15 to 18 should I troll or jig

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
No expert and very little experience in specific location but.....in similar areas in late spring early summer I would expect you should find....puppy drum, rock, and trout near the bars and grasses....maybe a few flounder as well. Oyster bars, grasses and depth changes are probably good bets for structure......I like that better than troling, but if you troll rockfish and maybe a bluefish or too should be expected

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I see no one else has offered up for you.....might try reaching out to Hale33.....if I remember he does well in kayak in that general area.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
http://www.josenhansflyfishing.com/

Contact Kevin and ask him he is a super nice guy and is usually willing to share some general info.

Stop in at Dave's Tackle and Battery in Chrisfield and ask him for updates--he will give you some good info specific to that area based on what he is hearing.

Generally I would fish 1/2 oz jigs w 4 inch twisters/shads/assassins/gulps (chart, white, red, combos) in 2-8 ft of flowing water near points, stumps, banks and other structure for specks and stripers. Most of the stripers are sublegal but you may get some keepers and the usual specks are 1-4 lbs,and bluefish, flounder, and croaker may be caught in the same areas at times although the latter species are often more abundant in deeper water.

The area near the MD/VA line south of Chrisfield around Fox Isl is always a good place to jig unless the wind is stirring up the water, and so is the area on the outside of Janes Isl (on the Bay not canal side) and you can fish the lower Ammensex the same way. Also the Smith Isl jetties on the Bay side usually hold fish and there are a lot of other areas to fish around Smith Isl.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts