Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my fishing license online (Bay Sport and Non-Tidal)... printed it a couple times (for storing in my tackle boxes), laminated them (so they last the season) and saved a copy to a file in case I lose them all. But I just noticed it says:

"IMPORTANT: A person who fishes for finfish for recreational purposes in the tidal portion of the Chesapeake Bay or in its tributaries must possess a seperate form of identification in addition to the Chesa[peake Bay Sport Fishing License."

Is this new.. or did I just notice it? Wonder what "seperate form of identification" is allowable???... I'm sure a drivers license works... but I never realized when I launched my kayak out my backyard I needed to bring my drivers license with me (???) I wonder if a AAA card or something not as critical as a drivers license would be suffice?

Seems you don't need seperate ID for Non-Tidal fishing (doesn't say so on license).

I didn't think much at all about this until I saw the thread about getting checked on the community dock. No problem getting checked.... DNR folks are great... but are they checking for 2 ID's now????

Oh yeah.. important part ... launched out this morning and picked up about a half dozen yellow's ... great start to the new season.

Mike

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother,
I think it's a new security requirement stemming from the 911 attack. I do know the Coast Guard does a full cavity search on you if they pull up to your boat and they want ID's, licences, registrations and a credit card.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
435 Posts
Virginia requires photo ID

If I'm not mistaken VA requires that a license holder also produce a photo ID.

I always figured it was a pretty good idea to take my ID with me anyway. My thought was to save them some trouble if they find me floating face down when I go out fishing in my kayak.

It happened to Bill Colby, right?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Illegal aliens get a Maryland driver's license BEFORE they get their fishing license (or their plane tickets, etc., etc.).

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Mike, (mdabul)

Basically anytime you are out doing something that requires you to possess a license or permit you should have photo identification with you to prove that you are the individual who is licensed. If not you risk being ARRESTED. I'm sure not many people realize that should you break any law, no matter how minor - spitting on a City Street for instance, if you do not have Photo Identification you are subject to arrest. Any time an Officer cannot positively identify an individual who he has observed committing a crime, or suspected of having committed a crime, he has to authority (duty) to arrest them, fingerprint them, and confirm their identity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
C-Hawk 18...

Well actually it doesn't say you need another form of ID for Non-Tidal fishing.. justs for the Bay Sport fishing part (note it doesn't say picture ID).

I don't see how the "spitting in the street" part applies.... I don't need a license to walk down the street...and if I'm breaking the law they can arrest me whether I have a license and ID or not.

My original point was... I didn't realize you needed extra ID to go fishing in the Bay... but according to the license you do not need additional IF in freshwater.

I'll carry both.. but it sounds like they don't check very much.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Any Law enforcement officer has the authority to confirm your idenity, and if he's not satisfied, he can and usually will arrest you until such time that your idenity is proven, because without it you could be wanted by a law enforcement agency, and criminals have always avoided providing idenity to escape the law....... The unforgetable events of 9/11, only heightened the awareness of law enforcement officials to identify possible wanted people.
So, be advised to heed this........carry your photo identification everywhere, regardless if it is specifically written or not, or be prepared to deal with the consequences.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hunting and fishing licenses in Md and Pa have had this reg for at least a couple of years now. Sometime you learn strange stuff when you read the fine print...

Tim T.
Judge 34 Express
Got Fish Too?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts