Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what info you consider to be the most important data for your log books?

I've been using a page I downloaded that includes;
port of departure, time in and out, moon phase, tide/current, weather conditions, air and water temps, wave height, wind direction and speed, location, lures, boat speed, coordinates, type of fishing and an area for notes.

Whats in your books?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Since I go fishing when I get the chance (wish it were more often) I don't pay too much attention to things such as moon phase and tides, but I do try to record some other things.

Surface Temp, Air Temp, Atmospheric Conditions(cloudy, sunny, etc...), water clarity, location, techniques.

Thats about it for me.

Mike

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Date, Location, and Fish Caught are the big 3 with me. I also note tides both predicted and reel-time. However, over time I'm finding out that tides are not as important as I once thought. I catch during all stages of tides. I also have a narrative section for additional details.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Tide and weather are most important to me.......

I've only got 2 seasons worth of logs, but i am already starting to see some patterns!! I think that detailed logs are your best way to find and catch fish, especially if you are new to the bay.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Paul,
Do you have a link to that log you downloaded?

I have to restart my entire log, I lost 3 years of data when my buddy dropped my log overboard while reading it this year! Needless to say, he'll never fish on my boat again!!!

i just used a small spiral notebook and wrote date, time, tide, current, fish caught, where, and on what...this year I'm gonna back it up to the computer every night...

Mark

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
I keep a small note pad on the boat and try to write down as much info as I can.Somedays I neglect to get a lot of details but I try to write the time of the strikes.

I include the weather and how the current was/ tide prediction.

Little details such as what the fish hit/water depth/etc.Other boats that hooked up and where.Anything I think might be important is included.

Once home - I transfer the notes to my logbook.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Paul,
Do you have a link to that log you downloaded?

I have to restart my entire log, I lost 3 years of data when my buddy dropped my log overboard while reading it this year! Needless to say, he'll never fish on my boat again!!!

i just used a small spiral notebook and wrote date, time, tide, current, fish caught, where, and on what...this year I'm gonna back it up to the computer every night...

Mark
I'd like the link as well. I haven't been keeping any logs but see the value in it and would like to start.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I keep mine on the puter using excell. as far as categories...
Date, Type (either an actual trip or I also log reports that some people post on here...take most with a grain of salt but often it fits in with previous trips I have made and can tell what makes sense and what doesn't), technique / tackle used, weather, time(generalized usually), tides, water temp

I just try to jot down at least some of the basics each time I go out.. Has really started to help

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
I've got a buddy who's putting together a fishing log software program, where you're able to share it/combine it with other fishermen of your choice...

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bmail your emails and I'll send you what I've been using. Its on a word doc so you can make the changes you feel necessary. I print it out, use a 3 hole punch and keep it in a 3 ring binder in my garage. When I'm on the water I log in a small spiral notebook then transfer it over when I'm home.
I might order some of that waterproof paper, looks nice.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I would like to add that I think what the weather has been doing is very important too.

For instance, if it's 45 degrees the day you are fishing but it has been 60, that's very different than if you had a 45 degree day after a snow storm. . .

I normally get all anal about my yearly logs in January and vow to do a better job keeping them, and then around May I just revert to basic records. I think migratory times lie the spring and fall are the most important times to keep track of the specifics. . .

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a very good point Francis. I'll be adding space for "weather pattern". Thanks.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
We all write so many reports on the internet that my log is all digital. And my log often takes info from someone else who reported similar situations and detail. Why not right, it's there. I just organize my fishing reports by date in a folder by the month.

I usually have to weed through the information but it will have everything and then some. Water temp, tides, time of day, fish caught, depth fished, depth fish caught at etc.

here's one, the last four or five years on opening day trophy season I've been shore fishing with the family. Of course the first year I didn't write the information down and that is when we each caught a limit and then some. But one piece of info that has not changed for that particular saturday is that Croaker were caught in mid Bay in mid april while rockfish fishing, every year, by me. So I know I can count on croaker too by then.

Herring showing up at a few select creeks too, have time, water temp etc. Earliest so far was March 11th but then they were gone on the 25th after a cold snap.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
As for water proof paper, it's a must for the on board logs which later get transfered to digital. You can buy small spiral notebooks for next to nothing that are for write in the rain. Use pencil as most ink will bleed, pencil will not, even written under water when scubba diving.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I write as much info as possible,sometimes a day or week later. I almost consider my log book a diary because Ill record some of the crazy stuff that happens. Its ALWAYS nice to look back and see last years fishing pattern.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
I have 10-12 yrs of informal logs I've kept. Some times I've included more info than others but I always list date, launch site, friends fishing w/me, method of fishing, what worked and what didn't, water temp, weather, and length of fish caught. Mine too, is like a diary more than a formal log book.

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
Nothing better then going back and reading (one more time :D) old log books.Some patterns stay year after year while other "sure things" were just a flash in the pan.

It is always fun to read about a fun trip that was forgotten :yes: - always sad to read about a trip with a friend no longer here :bigangel:.To look over a hand drawn map of the day's trolling path and laugh at all the circles.

Log book or dairy - I think a combo of the two :thumbup:.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a few ask about the log I use so I posted it on my profile page, if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I used excel or previously Works to make my log. That gave me the benefit to sort by conditions, month, water temp or any other condition to see what worked in the past, whcih I thoght was helpful

Since I troll a lot, I kept lure color, size, how many feet back, type of line since I use wire, mono and now braid, time of catch.

I do have to say I have gottne lazy in keeping my log and rely mostly on Ed to keep all this info for me lately and email his log at the end of the year. He adds pix of the catch in his word doc.

He also started carrying one of those hand help recorder last yeat and just verbally record the info and transpose it when he got time to the log.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts