Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday morning we left out of Wilton Creek a little after 0500. Plan was to run south and find a bog fish to weigh for the CCA Tournament. We had Joey (Defiant1) Troy (Dorkfish) and I onboard. It was a nice bumpy ride south on the bay in the dark but we managed to make it to the 36a area shortly before lines in time at 7:00. We saw lots of good fish marks stacked up and some scattered pods of bait. First fish in the boat was a 43 incher that Troy reeled in, after that I got a 37 that we let go in search of a larger fish, plan was for all of our fish over the slot be over 40 inches to keep. (just a note, when releasing fish make sure you dont have your cell phone in the top pocket of your carharts) Next Joey managed to crank in a 41 incher that we put in the box. We kept trying for larger fish but the 37 inch fish liked our spread. We also managed a couple fish below the slot on chutes with 9 in shad on them, these little guys were FAT! and hungry. We ran up to Norview to weigh our fish, one for CCA and one for the NNAC tourny. After the drop off we headed back in to the Piankatank, on that ride I decided that Joey's boat driving can only be described as Satan on a crack binge :eek2:. We didnt place in the tournament but it was a great day for fishing. Can't wait to try for another one. I will try to get some pics up once my other computer is repaired.

--John

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Good Haul

John,

Good report compared to most!

Good to have you and your crew in the CCA VA Tournament! The big fish money was 50.25 and got a check for $5,000.00 and 6th was about 40 lbs.

Thanks,
Kevin
CCA VA

·
Registered
198 Posts
John forgot to mention the first fish we had on at 7:15 that got off. It was spankin Dork and taking drag! It was a big, strong, angry fish that had the 100' rod bent over like I haven't seen before. We had a ton of fun and the tournament seemed to be running like a well oiled machine:thumbup:.We have been having a tough year so far and saturday was a bit of redemption with all the preparation finally working in our favor. The ride out of The Hole in the Wall at 5:25 was tough but after the first fish hit the deck, it was all worth it. Been promising Dork I was going to get him a big fish and that got taken care of with his best at 43". The smile on his face and the whining about how bad his arms hurt was the reward for me.

We always have fun when fishing and saturday was no different. If I can get a copy of the footage of Dork doing his own special fish dance, everyone can see what goes on onboard Defiant. It had my girlfriend rollin on the floor this morning! This was our first big tournament and I feel pretty good about our results. The whole experience was great and the tournament staff was excellent. I also wanted to thank Capt. Greg Buckner for putting together my new spread on such short notice. He threw in some color combinations that were different and were the ones that produced. In a moment of boredom I counted 56 6" shad and 25 9" shad bodies with 6 different head colors. It was a ton of work on his part and is a very large part of our recent sucess. A 43",41" 3-37's, 24" and a 22" was a damn good day!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Congrats on a great day fishing........it looks like the fish are finally moving into the lower bay areas........

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't want to be mean and mention that first fish kicking some dorkass. Some of that video should definately show how "special" a person he really is :eek:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mr. S......you may be happy to hear that the pricy phone that you dumped in the drink (boy do those fish talk funny on it down there!) was actually INSURED......when you can borrow someone's phone, call me.....Yo Momma

1 - 6 of 6 Posts