Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planing on coming down from Virginia in 2 weeks. I have called around and from what I can tell I don't need any type of license to put my boat in and fish near shore. If any one knowes anything different please let me know? I would also like any help that I could get to try and find some fish. I would like to target spanish, blues and if a cobia showes up give him a try. I will also be going out with at charter boat to the gulf stream on sat. Looking forwad to catching some fish on my own and also with the charter boat crew. This weekend. Thank you for any info that anyone can give me.

·
Registered
328 Posts
new license kicks in JAN 1,2007..so you dont need a license yet that is correct.spoons and plainers inlines and spoons for spanish and blues anywhere from 25 to 75 feet of water..live bait ready and big 3 to 6 ounce bucktails tipped with squid and or a 5 or 6 inch twister tail..keep em ready while spanish fishing and keep your eyes open the are subject to appear at anytime or not at all..I hope this helps ya.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Vtfisher, Richard knows what he’s talking about, he knows how and when to fish down that way.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Just fished the OI area last saturday from my boat and got one big skate all day, din't see any others doing any better just a few very small flounders from time to time. Your best bet is to get out offshore if you want something to bring home in the cooler. When one get one fish out of fifty boats that is not a very good fishing day on my book.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Everyone has to remember every day is different down there.The wind today yesterday and all last week plays a roll in what you target.To say I am going looking for spanish or cobia on friday would be like trying to hit a bullseye on a dart board every throw.If the wind comes southwest the water temp will drop this time of year as much as 10 degrees day to day.Spanish and cobia are 68 to 75 degree water for ideal catching with clear water.choppy is great for spanish but not sight cating to cobias.On a southwest wind hard for a few days should make you change your stategy..Hard southwest is best for inshore or in the sound bottom fishing....Tides are also a consideration usually you will catch more fish at the end of and beginning of a tide change.....You also have to consider what type of fish should be in what type of water....Whats the moon phase....how many types of bait do you bring to the dance...I start with 5 different types on every trip I go on.....And thats before I catch a fish because all caught fish are subject to volunteering themselves for bait..........If i fish for 25 to 30 minutes and exhaust atleast several methods of fishing as well as several types of bait and I havent caught several fish I'm moving and changing techniques..ocean fishing or inlet fishing is usually feast or famon you do not usually catch a few you either wear em out or you move onto a better technique or location...sometimes I will end up in the very first spot I started and wear them out because conditions are right and I didnt find them somewhere else and wound up right back where i started..If i catch two skates in 1 spot its time to move because thats not what I am there for.. the posibilities are endless and any method that worked today may or may not work tommorow....Be flexible adjust your techniques and enjoy yourself whether you are catching trout,blues,drum,flounders, or nothing.......Go with a plan but don't be afraid to change your plan because you will catch more fish and you might even catch what you were after if you try some unconventional technique.......

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
I told you Richard knows his sh##. That is excellent advice Richard we all can lean a lot after reading that. You are the MAN

1 - 7 of 7 Posts