Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Saltwater Flyfishing and am headed to Culebra for a week this summer. I am taking a 9ft 9wt 4pc fly rod with me to try my hand at fishing off the island. What I am need help of is a list of things that I should take with me: (Flies, Lines, Leaders, etc.)? I plan on doing most of my fishing from the beach any help would be great. Thanks. Also what can I expect to catch?

· Registered
69 Posts
Mark,
While I am not familiar with Culebra since I haven't been there, I am going to hazard a guess that you'll encounter the standard Caribbean species - bonefish, jacks, barracudas, maybe tarpon...
The standard line-up of bonefish flies such as crazy charlies, gotchas, shrimpy-looking clousers (i.e. tan, pink...) would be a good starting point. Do a web search and see what you come up with. I am not going to recommend a guide, 'cause the way I figure it, you'd probably be asking 'Does anybody know a good guide in Culebra' if you could (or were allowed to :)) afford it! Ask around when you get there, but do research before you go.
Bill

· Registered
88 Posts
Take some long flies and some topwater(sliders and poppers) for cudas. I fished Puerto Rico about 25 years ago and had some small cudas. The fly must move fast or you can get them to strike if you drop a topwater close and then take it away and drop it right back. They hit it from aggravation.
Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.