Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't want to ruffle any feathers on Thanksgiving, so if you don't like trash fish, back away NOW!

Now that that's out of the way, tried some bank catfishing this afternoon.
Spot I usually catch them at until early December. Hedged my bet by mixing up some carp bait.

First off, caught ZERO bluecats. Not deep, not shallow.

So tied on a carp rig.

Water Sky Plant Lake Body of water

Comes with 6 hooks, I cut off 4.
Kernels of canned corn on remaining 2 hooks, pack spring with bait, acts as chum.

Water Sky Lake Body of water Landscape

Panko, strawberry jello mix, and whole corn, water til it packs firm.

First one came quick, 2# ish.

Water Sky Liquid Lake Fish

Caught more same to maybe 10.
Then this 12#ish.

Water Water resources Plant Natural landscape Wood

To be fair, also caught carp on plain hooks with corn, and garden worms, plus some bullheads.

Spot and WP there 2 weeks ago as well as PLENTY of bluecats. Not so today.

Duck hunters we already in, no one around. Nice, sunny, quiet day.
Then came home and ate till I was uncomfortable.

Not much of a fishing report, but did the best I could with what I got.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,366 Posts
My kinda report! My childhood friend and I fished for carp when we were kids. We'd drag my Pond Prowler over to the reservoir and fish for carp and catfish.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My kinda report! My childhood friend and I fished for carp when we were kids. We'd drag my Pond Prowler over to the reservoir and fish for carp and catfish.

Had friends in grade school go nuts if they caught 3 or 4# LMB.
While giving me grief about catching 20# carp.
Was all my Sears Ted Williams fiberglass rods could stand. Sometimes more than they could stand. Lost a few getting pulled out of forked sticks stuck in the bank too, lol.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,366 Posts
Simpler days my friend, MUCH simpler days. He and I fished in the late 70s, now that reservoir has silted in to the point where it might be 6' deep where it was 40' deep in places back then.

·
Registered
12,423 Posts
I've only been catcing a few but they're nice size 12-15 in. 1-4 if I'm lucky I use big baits to keep the smaller 10-12 in crappy from bothering me.. When you release these you have quality crappy fishing. thank a C&R fisherman when you catch a BIG ONE. and think about releasing it again These size are a meal for one but It makes me feel better to release them than to eat them. Good Karma too.
Fish Tail Fin Ray-finned fish Fishing

·
Registered
448 Posts
Brings back memories of yonder years. Started bank fishing as a kid of 8 years old in the pond behind our home terrorizing bluegills and largemouth. After a move it was perch, catfish and.spot in the C&D canal for a few years off the rocks and pier that lined the canal. Our next move had a tidal creek near by. Now into my mid teens. Chasing mostly largemouth and redear sunfish till we discovered carp. Choice or bait would be corn, store bought bait from Sarges market or homemade doughballs boiled in a sock. Soon we had little tournament for most, biggest or largest with lightest line. Then I got a boat and carp were soon forgotten. Still headed to Turkey point for the spring striper run. Now is time to introduce grandkids to carp. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,366 Posts
You got that right. Anything IS better then a crappie fishing report. That's all I'm catching and not many of them right now. LOL! Some one said they were delicious. I have never ate one.
Well you did a hell of a lot better than we did yesterday, and yes, they were damn tasty deep fried with onion strings and a ribeye nice and rare. Southern surf and turf.

Reactions: andypat

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I've only been catcing a few but they're nice size 12-15 in. 1-4 if I'm lucky I use big baits to keep the smaller 10-12 in crappy from bothering me.. When you release these you have quality crappy fishing. thank a C&R fisherman when you catch a BIG ONE. and think about releasing it again These size are a meal for one but It makes me feel better to release them than to eat them. Good Karma too. View attachment 283245
No way I can keep up with you. You are a Capt. I am only a Rec. fisherman without a boat.

·
Registered
790 Posts
0-0 The next one Tuesday will be good. I bet there will be a few fights with that team. GO USA!!
CIA should buy the game the way they did at Lake Placid...
I'm good with the nill-nill against England, we actually played an almost perfect game and had several good chances. The tie on the first game was a let down, and one we let get away. We needed to sub fresh legs on D earlier. I don't blame the offending player on the penalty called, sure it was a bonehead play, but that happens when you are running on fumes and seeing stars out there, been there done that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts