Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched back through previous posts on this subject but thought I would post again for any new information. Heading down to Quepos for first time in mid March to fish with Capt. Richard on Gamefisher II for two days. Flying in to San Jose and renting car for a week to explore the area when not fishing. Realizing many of our members have enjoyed fishing and seeing the area I am looking for any recent helpful information you are willing to provide.

Thanks in advance, Greg

ps. Fired up about checking this trip off bucket list now in retirement.

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
I've fished the northern part ( near Nicaragua ) 6 times - incredible fishing. To the south where you are headed is supposed to be even better.

Most boats target Sailfish and these average 80 -110 lbs - no lie. Often 2-5 will come into the spread all at same time.

Big Mahi and 10-20 lb Wahoo and 5-20 lb Tuna round out the normal catch. If you can take some Rapala CD 14's down in red / white or purple / black stripe - captain will love you. Tackle is very expensive and these lures are sought after.

You'll be about 5* above equator so take precaution with sun. I wear long light weight pants and long sleeve shirt and sun screen face / ears / back of neck.
Drink plenty of water - I would drink two waters for each beer.

Most times it is calm with a rolling swell - perfect conditions in my book.

Driving in Costa Rica is crazy. The locals drive really fast but what your speed - police will pull over a tourist car and sometimes ask for payment ( bribe ).

Some roads have big potholes - when we rent a car - first thing I do is pop off hubcaps and put in trunk until I return it. Rental car companies love to charge for lost hubcaps. Watch for cars to veer into your lane when they dodge potholes. Watch car in front of you and follow when they swerve. Locals know the best path.

I would avoid driving at night - did it once , never again. People on bikes with no lights and dark clothing , horses and cars without tail lights are normal.

There is petty crime so play it smart and not take expensive jewelry and lock stuff in trunk if away from car. Like anywhere - don't tempt fate by leaving things in plain view.

One thing to be prepared for - prostitution is legal - at bars you'll get approached, even if with girlfriend / wife.

Be sure to take plenty of photos - can not wait to see them posted on TF.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I've been to Quepos and fished on the Stress Reliever. We decided not to rent a car, and just cabbed it everywhere. I was very happy with that decision. Sailfishing was good, inshore for roosterfish was not. I'm pretty disappointed I wasn't approached by any hookers. Sounds like Skip hangs out in better bars than I do.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'm fishing Quepos on Feb 12th. I'll let you know whats going on. I am fishing inshore in Quepos for Roosterfish.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I'm fishing Quepos in a couple of weeks. Offshore one day and early morning shoreline near Manuel Antonio for several. I'll let you know what's up as well. I just tied up some big Bucktail deceivers for this trip!

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I was in CR IN April, hadn't been since the eighties. It's certainly not the quaint undiscovered paradise it used to be, but it's still a fantastic destination. This is the old Liberia terminal. The new one while small is quite modern. If renting a car, don't be dismayed by what you read on the web. Sure it's more expensive than most places, and it's a bit of a pain, but it opens up all sorts of options. Opt for a 4x4 or something with good ground clearance, trust me.

I met a guy who said I could make a living renting out land parcels to squatters, and the absentee Gringos would never know. I leased lots 27-47 on a great area on a hill in Guanacaste...

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have not been in a few years, but I had taken shuttles and rented. We initially took shuttles and taxis but over the years the prices went WAY UP. So we ended up renting. The new highway is great and cuts down on the drive and makes it more reliable. Just watch which days you travel to San Jose. I believe on Sundays it is only one way for locals returning from the weekend at the beach.

Fishing is great in that area not sure how El Nino is going to effect the sailfish. They get Black Marlin over inshore structure and the bottom fishing is insane if you can find a Capt willing to take you. Roosterfishing down there is Awesome.

Check out Ladies Night at the Backyard in Hermosa Beach I think it is on Wednesday. Its a surfers bar and late night is great people watching. during the day the beach is rocky but the water is a beautiful blue.

I will second to avoid driving at night. They are HORRIBLE drivers and there is a good bit of drunk driving.

Make sure to check out El Avion - https://www.costaverde.com/avion01.htm
Ollie North's plane turned into a restaurant and the food is really good.

Enjoy!

Tuna

Don't carry around anything expensive and try to wear neutral colors so not to stand out. I have never had an issue, but it is best to keep a low profile.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses fellas. Looking forward to follow up from those heading there in the near future. Certainly stoked about the fishing which will be shortly after new moon, but find I am an apprehensive traveler.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here but I'll be traveling to the Guanacaste area, Playa del Cocos to be exact, in March. Any recommendations for a captain would be appreciated from those that have fished in that general area. I'll be there with my wife and two teenage kids. If you have any other recommendations for tourist-type things to do, toss them out here too. This will be our first trip to CR. Thanks!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
For something extra go ziplining. We did and had a blast, it was safe and BIG compared to some places here in the states. Like zipline between 2 mountains big...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Been to Quepos quite a number of times..only fished out of their once in the fall. Most of the time we fish out Sierpe .and fish out around Island del Cano..from Quepos it's about an 1.5 to 2hrs south.Have a great guide Captain Mario.Ive been bring him good tacked for the last 7year.TDL's and Shimano Spinning reels and rods.
We do a lot of jigging and trolling but one of the best is top water plugging for roosters and cubra's and big jacks. He's somewhere around $600 to $700 for a full day and he brings a excellent lunch..I get to run the lines and he drives.one day we were using tomics and couldn't keep the yellowfin away .
What's cool is you can do a lot in a day snorkeling, whale watching, and fishing the same day and we usually see some crocodile in the river. Got some pictures I'll see if I can post them

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
What's cool is on the way south out of Quepos you hit the mountains and jungle around Dominical..which is like Key West before it got commercialized. They have a excellent restaurant called Tortuga Flats that has a fantastic coconut mahi. We took surfing lessons in Dominical.But there are some really neat beaches below Uvita

Attachments

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Just returned. Fished one day last week out of Quepos on a 30 Bertram.

I had no idea sails got over 100, but we caught an 80, a 100 and whopper at 120 pounds. Plus 8 yellowfin tuna, landing 5 around 35 pounds.

Fish early in your trip to enjoy sashimi for the remainder. Tuna were caught on poppers while being herded by teams of 500 dolphins, which is a sight to behold. We were 15 to 2o miles offshore and had a great trip. Four of us fished for 850 plus 150 tip.

Inshore, I only threw the flyrod at shoreline for about 30 minutes, before a big rooster shredded my flyline...

CR is exceptional in all respects! It is safe, the water is clean, food everywhere was cheap and tasty. Knowing a bit of Spanish warms the locals up quickly, and you will get a lot more info.

Take an extra bag to check many kilos of whole bean Naranjo coffee on the flight home. If you hunt around, you can find the good stuff for $2.20/1100 Colones/12oz bag in the mountains....Don't buy booze at the duty free though. They will recheck your bag at boarding and confiscate it.

Pura Vida!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Pax you picked a great week to be out of here... Sounds like a great trip, if the fly rod is going to get broken, better by a big fish than just lost or broken in a door or something...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts