Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

"Long time reader, first time poster..."

I'm headed down to Coles Point / Ragged Point this weekend, and will be fishing this part of the Northern Neck for the first time. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on what's biting, locations, bait, etc? I'm particularly interested in hearing from some of the regulars who have experience fishing near shore, as it'll be a few weeks before I am able to get my 22' Mako down.

Thanks to all those who make this forum a great read! Your fishing reports, stories, questions, pictures, and expertise are great fun!

Best,
"HailtotheChief"
22" Mako W/A

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Dumb question:

Will you be pier fishing until you get mako down?

No public piers but if you are fishing from yours or someone's else's there are perch and croakers to be had

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rocksandblues,

Thx for the reply. I'll be pier fishing on our dock mostly for now, as we just got a little place down there, and maybe going out on calm days in a little jonboat / skiff, but will wait to make full use of the river until the Mako . Any additional tips or suggestions are much appreciated!

"HailtotheChief"
Mako 22' W/A

·
Registered
318 Posts
Perch are biting. Casting 1/8 oz white grubs from a dock produces lots of fish. I like to make tandem rigs with them. They cast better and produce higher numbers. On a calm day you won't need much more than a john boat in the river. Work the area off the tavern with squid and bloodworms for croaker. Usually drifting along the outside line of crabpots produces good fish when they are in the river. Cast large jigs toward the rocks at night and early AM for rockfish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for the tips, Country Water. Despite the rains on Friday / early Saturday, I got out Saturday afternoon on a neighbor's boat. We fished a few locations, but had our best luck catching perch, spot, and some decent croaker off the Tavern, just outside the last line of crab pots. We used bloodworms as our primary bait, but also used some cut up spot too...which seemed to land the biggest croakers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts