Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend asked if I would like to go fishing today on the Chicahominy (spelling?) River - actually some creek he fishes off the main river up off Route 5. I was a bit hesitant at first because even though I have the gear for going turtle it still gets a bit cold, but I said yes.

Had a great time. We probably caught about 20 cat fish between us with the largest at about 4 ounds or so. Not a big fish, but it was a good time. He kept none I took three home. They are about a 1-1/2 to 2 pounds each, but it's just me and the missus so it will suffice.

Water temps were about 43 degrees and the air was about mid to high 40s with a slight wind from who knows where since I forgot my GPS. We didn't go very far from the launch area - maybe a mile.

Fun to sit about 10 to 15 feet out from the bank with the stake out pole in the scupper and fish. It's nice and peaceful up there. Watched a couple of power boats go by. They come up the creek and see you (both of us have mango colored yaks) and they come off plane to slow down a bit. Wish they'd just stay on plane. [grin]

·
Registered
457 Posts
The river is a nice place to fish ,but you ought to try the lake sometime. The Chain Pickeral are biting pretty good now. I caught a few last weekend onminnows and the boats cant get up in some of the creeks. I launched from Eagles Landing off Rt. 60.

DARREN

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. My fishing buddy (Mac) has told me about the chain pickeral and we are supposed to go sometime. However, I'm not sure where we're going - he told me I just forget things........ [grin]

But I'll try to remember to go to the lake. Thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
[Q]Sandtiger originally wrote: Watched a couple of power boats go by. They come up the creek and see you (both of us have mango colored yaks) and they come off plane to slow down a bit. Wish they'd just stay on plane. [grin]
[/Q]

I know what you mean. When they do that, the hull settles into the water...more displacement... more wake. I've had that conversation before. You will never convince the Capt. of any boat. I'm with you. Stay up on plane or come to a stop and go very slow. Surf's Up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts