Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got down to the Chester River yesterday and out into the Bay a bit with my sit on top kayak. The first two stripers of the day were my best, both at 19", throwbacks. The tide was very low, so low in fact that I had to get out and walk and pull my kayak on the flats. The wind picked up considerably in the afternoon so it was tough paddling to get position. Unlike last week when I was catching 19 to 20 inch fish fairly consistently with not many dinks, yesterday was good for lots of dinks. Caught a bonus yellow perch in the river, not a bad one at 12 inches, and the white perch bite just before dark was on fire, every cast. It's nice to fish the river to get out of the wind from the main bay a bit.

I had a question about how long the fish will stay in the rivers, will they still stay shallow for a while? It's a long trip from Pa for me, but it's worth it as the local bass fishing is shutting down.

Enclosed a few pics, the bigger fish are from last week.

Fishnmusicn

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
The river bite is tied to water temperature. Once rivers get around 55* - the baitfish will move out to deeper ( warmer ) water. As the bait leaves - the Rock follow.

It can happen quickly - if we get very cold weather and wind. This combo seems to cool off the shallows fast.

Good news for you - right now - prediction is for warm /sunny days. This will keep shallow water temps. more / less steady.

Watch for the fish you are catching to slowly go deeper - sign the bite is winding down.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The river bite is tied to water temperature. Once rivers get around 55* - the baitfish will move out to deeper ( warmer ) water. As the bait leaves - the Rock follow.

It can happen quickly - if we get very cold weather and wind. This combo seems to cool off the shallows fast.

Good news for you - right now - prediction is for warm /sunny days. This will keep shallow water temps. more / less steady.

Watch for the fish you are catching to slowly go deeper - sign the bite is winding down.
What do you know?
He has 4,294,967,295 posts and you only have 23,974.
And it's all based on the most.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That there is funny, real funny! But true!
Just blame it on one of my clones - the first one goes to work for me all day and the other one is obsessed with posting on forum threads all day and all night! At least it leaves me with plenty of time to fish, so I should know the answer to my own question! Don't know how that number got there by the way, I kind of figured that when the water temps drop the fish will change their patterns, will see when I can get down again before the temp drops too much.

·
Registered
11,189 Posts
They stay in some UB rivers( above BB) until at least the close in December 15. I caught 1 22in. on Dec. 16 in 3 ft. depth last year while fishing for chain pike. If you're lucky you'll find a school of keepers. The striper bite slows down when the water temp they're in gets down in the lower 40s. They still swim around and are caught in gill nets during winter, so you can still buy fresh striped bass at your grocery store during the winter gill net season. These will be commercial grocery store size "18-20 in." striped bass.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Too bad you have so far to travel, because all this week will be mild weather/warm Temp. The fish are still there for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at the 10 day forecast and beyond, this week my busy week at work so can't take off, but next Tuesday and Wednesday look like my best shot though they will be preceded by a cold front after the warm week. Temps on those days will be in the low 60's and cloudy, maybe still good?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts