Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Met Jason D. at city park around 6:30am in Portsmouth. Only a few minnows in trap. Did catch a few croaker for bait and had a white squid to go with us. Stopped at the coal piers to try to get some more bait but still no spot. We set up to drift for flounder and had to use the motor to help us go in the right direction. I had MANY hits and played around with playing line out and counting 20-30 seconds,set the hook and notta. I shortened up the bait strips and still they would just nibble on it. This went on for several hours. Then finally letting him eat it for 20 seconds and setting the hook I had one on that felt good. Get the net this is one for the box. Then after a few seconds of reeling it felt kind of slack so I reeled faster thinking its swimming to the boat. Jason gets it in the net and its a 16" fish. So much for one for the box. We headed over to MMBT for some croaker(democrat) fishing. It was a nice day on the water with the sun coming out. Did manage to get some sun. We had some good laughs and had a couple of cold ones. Water temp at HRBT 64-65 Most all the hits and the one flounder came in 25' of water.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Without revealing any secret spots, where were you fishing? I ask because I'm driving my boat from the Eastern branch of the Elizabeth and am brand new to fishing this particular area. I've only gone twice and went to the HRBT and Hampton Bar. I'd love to know if there is anything closer to downtown. Thanks. Joe

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Way to go Bobby, I was stuck slinging hot tubs in Elmira, NY last weekend, glad you made it out. We'll be out this weekend on DA BAR !

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will be out on Sunday all day. I hope think will be warmer by then. I plan on fishing both in and out tides.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Met Jason D. at city park around 6:30am in Portsmouth. Only a few minnows in trap. Did catch a few croaker for bait and had a white squid to go with us. Stopped at the coal piers to try to get some more bait but still no spot. We set up to drift for flounder and had to use the motor to help us go in the right direction. I had MANY hits and played around with playing line out and counting 20-30 seconds,set the hook and notta. I shortened up the bait strips and still they would just nibble on it. This went on for several hours. Then finally letting him eat it for 20 seconds and setting the hook I had one on that felt good. Get the net this is one for the box. Then after a few seconds of reeling it felt kind of slack so I reeled faster thinking its swimming to the boat. Jason gets it in the net and its a 16" fish. So much for one for the box. We headed over to MMBT for some croaker(democrat) fishing. It was a nice day on the water with the sun coming out. Did manage to get some sun. We had some good laughs and had a couple of cold ones. Water temp at HRBT 64-65 Most all the hits and the one flounder came in 25' of water.
What is Croaker(democrat) Fishing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.