Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I are going to the Superbowl this year and are going to be in Tampa for a week. We want to fish a few of the mornings before we start doing the circuit. I have done some research but if anyone knows good places to fish from shore, bridges, etc and what to target last week of January I'd greatly appreciate it. We don't want to charter because we want to set our own schedule and stay as short or long as we want....thanks in advance!
Mark

·
Registered
439 Posts
First off can I just say I am jealous. Now lets get started! The old sky way bridge is now a fishing pier very good place to go. I would stay to the northern pier. From this pier be prepared to catch anything from kings, cobias, snappers and big grouper. You can also get a hold of some big snook. You will want to LL everything here so make sure you have bigger tackle. You can also fish from the old gandy blvd bridge another good spot. Here you will find specks, reds, snook, and maybe a smaller grouper.(10-15lbs!!) If you throw a live shrimp out and jig it back slow it is like cotton candy to the specks and reds. And to cover all ground LL one out there. The sky way is about a 20-30 minute drive depending on traffic but well worth it. If you go down in Feb. you should try to jump on a half day charter. It will be well worth it you should be able to find one on a day or two notice. They a pretty cheap because you don't have to travel far for a mixed bag of fish. Good luck. I miss Tampa was stationed there for 8 years and even though retirement is a long time away you can find me there when that time comes. If you need more help pmail me.

Chad

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Yup... you still suck Mark... Check out Dunedin causeway. I just talked to my buddy down there (lives in Tarpon Springs), and he said that they have been getting some fish right from shore down there on the causeway. Specks, Reds, and even small sharks.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tim, yeah I suck...the good news for you is it won't be your Bears I see...and my problem is it won't be my Chargers! I'll check it out! Gonna try to load the cooler with some real fish, not that **** rockfish we've been catchin!!!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anyone else have any good info? I have a buddy down there fishing now, will it be about the same in a month as it is now?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
My wife and I took the kids there a few years ago on a diving trip.I did not take any fishing gear but most of the creeks we explored had alot of fish in them.The freshwater ones held some big Gar that would be fun to catch.Watch out for the water turtles - I picked one up that was on the road and it bite me.The neck is really long- not like a box turtle :eek:.

If you want to try something off the wall - take a Manatee trip.You wade in about chest deep and get to pet them :thumbup:. Easy to do in a half day.

The saltwater side was murky when we were there but we saw alot of good sized Snook and Tarpon.

You might be able to get a guided trip cheap right now since the economy is slow.Most charters will work around your time schedule - plus you'll learn alot in one day.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
If you want to take a drive down south... there are a lot of Peacock and LM bass in the lakes in southern FL...

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks..
Skip, we plan to do some spearfishing so thanks for the info on the turtles

Tim, we were thinking about hitting up some LM, but peacocks would be a blast!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts