Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm searching for weekend trips with the Mako and would like to try the CBBT. I am having trouble finding info on fishing in January ie: hotel, boat ramp distance to fishing grounds. I have always been told the fishing is great down there this time of year. Any one have any experience with this. I will be towing my 20' Mako from Kent Island.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Stay home it's over,water is way to cold.Normally it's still good in january but the last two winters it was over before xmas.

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,762 Posts
The CBBT is non productive this Jan...not like in the past. Post a question on the VA Board and you might get a reply on how the fishing is out of Rudees. Be prepared to troll.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Water temps at the CBBT are in the mid 30's which means the fish that are there have lockjaw. Most folks down this way are fishing the oceanfront and are running from Rudee Inlet down to the Va/NC line and farther south to find fish. It's been tough and we can only hope for some warm weather to bring em back a little north. We ran all the way to Duck, NC yesterday and found bait but no fish. The reports from today had many folks on fish in that same area as the water did warm a little with these milder temps. Tomics behind a mojo's on a 3 way has been one of the best baits so far this season. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
The above is good advice, the season ended early there. One thing, when you get down there, you will have to drive your boat up onto the trailer at the ramp. Some guys do it regularly, but I had to learn it with an audience. You just need someone who can attach boat to the trailer winch and drive up the ramp with you in the boat. The ramps there are very wide and your trailer will not have a nice pier alongside.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Bay closes 12/31 midnight. You will need to fish the ocean and right now the water appears to be too cold. Need to go south.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
to amend what these guys said previously... you cannot KEEP rock at the tunnel from jan. first on, but ...it is legal to c& r there in the winter months. i mean exactly at the tunnel-bridge complex. go out about three miles towards ocean,(from the cbbt) , and you CAN KEEP ROCK, FROM DEMARCATION LINE OUT TO THREE MILES. but me thinks the rec to go south to oi is the smartest move now for feeshing the rock inshore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts