Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, New member here and am interested in any information folks could share about fishing the Bay from the Delaware shores. I'm moving to S.E. PA from upstate mid summer and have a 2001 Wellcraft Sportsman 180 with a F115 Yamaha. Most of my fishing has been on the Finger Lakes of NY and Ontario. It's mostly a trolling game, downriggers, dipsy divers, planner boards, leadcore etc. I hear folks talk about a boat license, is that something different from your standard state registration? Would it be a fishing license for all those on the boat, or is each person responsible for an individual license? Does Delaware have a website that would give me any needed info for operating a boat and fishing the bay? I fish mostly with the wife, and would love to get into some good eating fish. Personally Salmon and trout taste like s**t. I do enjoy perch and crappie. Is there decent fishing for flounder and weakfish on the bay east of the Dover area? It's probably been almost 40 years since I fished the bay, I guess I got alot of catching up to do. Thanks in advance, Ron W

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am new to the DE bay myself so I really can't help you much. If you fish in DE waters you need a DE boat license. If you fish on the NJ side you don't. you may want to try the bass barn forum for advise.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Is the ramp permit something that's available at the ramp, or is it by mail or online? Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
any De State park office,some of the tackle shops around Lewes also have them try Bill's another place that may have them is Eastern marine in Newark,de.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shellback

I live in Carlisle, PA and in past years have driven to Lewes to fish around the rock structure there. The DE State Ramp on the Lewes-Rehobeth Canal is a good ramp to use. I agree with the other responses, you need a launch permit to use any DE ramp. Just be aware you need to be Coast Guard Legal- Throw Pillow, Flares, Horn, Fire Ext, Life Vests- in these waters, and on the Susquehanna Flats.

Hope you enjoy the move.

Lead Head - 85 Welcraft Steplift V-20

·
Registered
8 Posts
:fishing2:
Hi Ron
I'm from Baltimore Md and love fishing Delaware Bay better than the upper Chesapeake for the variety in the fish I catch. Flounder , line side, drum, sea bass and tog not to mention trout. Your sign in is also familier to me as I was was on CVA 59 for to shelback intications.
Good Fishing
Art Wilson

·
Registered
37 Posts
hello all, just a quick reminder that bills is not selling state park beach permits or ramp sticks as of this year . he said it was to much hassel

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
Hello All, New member here andI fish mostly with the wife, and trout taste like s**t. It's probably been almost 40 years since I fished the bay, I guess I got alot of catching up to do. Thanks in advance, Ron W
The fishing in Del.Bay has gone gone down hill big time since you fished it.The trout taste about the same,how does your wife fix them?

·
Banned
329 Posts
If you in DE and your vehicle is registered in DE, you don't need a "ramp stamp" as it is called. Only out-=of-staters need a "ramp stamp". And you do not need a boat license to fish DE tidal waters . MD does, DE does not although the State legislature is now considering a saltwater fishing license in DE so all of this may change soon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Your boat should be able to run out of Bowers or Mispillion fairly easily. I honestly couldn't give you an *exact* hotspot, some of my spots dry up for a few trips in a row but stripers are in, trout should be about ready and flounder are starting up, all within a few miles of any of the DE ramps. The techniques probably haven't changed much in 40 years, maybe a few "newer" baits and rigs but nothing that you'll need to break the bank for. As always, look for rips, broken bottom, slopes/shoals,...

Good luck

·
Registered
241 Posts
if your boat is registered in de then that is your ramp permit, otherwise out of staters need one.. my buddy one time got a present from the de dnr police for being out of state and not having the permit..

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:fishing2:
Hi Ron
I'm from Baltimore Md and love fishing Delaware Bay better than the upper Chesapeake for the variety in the fish I catch. Flounder , line side, drum, sea bass and tog not to mention trout. Your sign in is also familier to me as I was was on CVA 59 for to shelback intications.
Good Fishing
Art Wilson
Hello Art, Pretty sure Forrestal only crossed the line twice, once going to, and once returning from our Westpac cruise. So I imagine we were aboard at the same time, 1967.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Going to Del Bay Sat.

Going to try some flattie fishing on Sat. Launching from Missipilion I'll post my results on Monday.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How did you make out fishing Sat.? They say that they were catching flounder around
F and G bouys in the Anchorage. I was out there last week and caught 6 with 2 keepers
fishing a half day. The 18 inch size killed me, I threw back a 17", 17.5" and a 17 3/4".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts