Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question to all-been out in the new yak and gettin accustomed to it and have been going to some of my old haunts in the South River-mostly the bays and creek entrances and any apparent structure i can find. the problem i am havin is WEEDS. Weeds are all over some of the places i mentioned above. i have never seem them to this extent in years-fish love em-and i know they are good for h2o quality creating habitat etc. but i am not sure how to fish them with the old beat the water tactics ive been using. Couple of things i thought of is clipping the hooks off some of my treble baits and topwaters to make them single or double hooks to move them through the weeds better-or go strictly with weedless ba sets or weedless worm rigs. Alternatively i could just fish the weed lines but i have not had much success to date doing that...vsm stuff and no quantity. any suggestions i am scratching my head on this one....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Here are a few very effective options. A fluke style plastic rigged weedless on a worm hook(or any plastic for that matter), weedless gold spoons, weedless flies, fishing topwaters just out from the weeds and an inline spinner lure made by terminator that has a spinner in front of a brass bullet weight and a weedless bass assasin. I may get frowns on this one but buzz baits that work just like bass lures are killer, Nemire makes one called a spoon buzzer. I have caught a buttload of reds and the 30" speck on my wall on that lure. Hope this helps.
Chad

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chad, many thanks, and BTW i am glad you suggested the buzz baits-had a passing thought on those but somehow was havin a problem as to whether they'd work-when i hit on a fix i will let you and the board know and thanks again

·
Registered
253 Posts
So you are fishing South River in MD? No reds up there.

What part of the river are you fishing. I lived on Harness Creek for a couple of years. Mainly perch and rock up there, especially in the grass. Pickeral if you are further up the river, but not as many as in the Severn and Magothy.

ONe thing you can do is use a bobber and some peeler and cast to the holes in the weeds. My grandfather talked about doing that for rock when he was younger. What worked best for me was to toss horsehead jigs into the weekds and jig them vertically along the bottom, kinda like the bass guys do with their jig and pigs.

But really, the best method up there is the peeler/soft crab under a big bobber.

Or just forget the weeds and fish the structure like the docks and duck blinds.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i am fishing basically everything from selby up glebe beards wharehouse etc...as to the peelers-i was kind of hoping to move to just lures but you got me-it may be the overall best bet. thanks for the advice and i will let ya know-supposed to be snotty i think tomorrow but maybe sat/sun
thanks again NG

·
Registered
580 Posts
Flan,

Don't feel bad, Goby doesn't like to use stink bait either. He gets 'bait remorse' if he does. I think he is getting more used to it though, since he moved down to Hampton Roads with all us ********!

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.