Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
id like to take a few people fishing for some cat action and was wondering for some help need some info on where to go and ill be leaving smithfield on rt10 and then im lost any help would be appr. thanks i have 19.5 cc and 110johnson is that enough boat for the river or in a creek
thanks for any help
james

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You could put in at Rushmere Tylers Beach Boat ramp( free)and run up river past the Ghost Fleet or (fish around it) and around the point at Hogg Island to the Surry Nuke Power Plant discharge.Heard thats good in the winter. A 19.5 ' CC normally is ok but about a month ago a 23' boat flipped at the Ghost Fleet and an adult and 2 boys were lost.Unusually hight winds that day.
You could come up to Surry and take a right on Rt 31 and take a left after a couple of miles and put in at Grey's Creek Marina $5 (Good Seafood Restarount there too. I think its called Rocky Point Seafood Grill/Bar ). Then from there on the river also go to the Surry Nuke Discharge or go west up to Claremont area. Mouth of Chickahomany up west of the Jamestowm Ferry.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the help im new on the cats ive asways wanted to try up in the james i always fish mm and the hrbt cbbt but never tryed the upper james well as soon as the weather breaks alittle im going to try it maybe friday or sat . how heavy test line
would my striper rods work i guess . anywhere i can find fresh bait (shad ) or whats the best bait ?
thanks for the help
im the rookie when it comes to the cat deal haha

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
I FOUND ALOT OF GOOD INFO FROM VDGIF

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I don't cat fish myself .Catfish that I have caught I"ve caught while Rockfishing both with artificial and live baits. Nothing that big .Biggest 6 or 7 llbs.I've even caught some smaller white cats around the Ghost fleet.
Striper rods with 30lb lines and fish finder rigs with 50/60 lb leader and 8 or 9 O/T circle hooks I would think should be big enough..
Hope some of these guys on this board round Hopewell would chime in and help you out on this and bait too. They'r usually pretty good about it. Come on guys help out a fellow TF.er from down east.
Maybe he'll fish the Tournament with you all the 25th.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Getting bait is the hard part this time of year. But store bought frozen or fresh shad will work, as will cut eel, bunker etc.

BB is right about tackle. 20-30 main line, fishfinder rig, heavier leader. Fish upcurrent of some structure. Or channel ledges.

I don't know anything about below Jordan point on the James, so I can't help with ramps and such.

Dayton

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Getting bait is the hard part this time of year. But store bought frozen or fresh shad will work, as will cut eel, bunker etc.

BB is right about tackle. 20-30 main line, fishfinder rig, heavier leader. Fish upcurrent of some structure. Or channel ledges.

I don't know anything about below Jordan point on the James, so I can't help with ramps and such.

Dayton

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the info it will help im sure ill post pics when i return
this weekend will be a big one thur striper at sandbridge friday and sat in surry --cats
thanks again
james

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
whats the name of the boat ir is there cap ? i will be out there thursday as well- go from sandbridge to corrolla and back !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live over here in the county... Put out at Lawns creek.. Run 10 into Surry take a right on to rt. 650,, go down about 2.5 to 3.0 miles and the State ramp is on the right can't miss it..
If you contin. down the road you will meet the guy's in grey with M4's at the Power Station...

Drop out at Lawns Creek hang a left and run up the river..
Some of the guys around here have been having good luck at the outlet of the Station with cut bait.. Cats running 2Lbs to about 5lbs.. SNACK PACKS..

Check weather before heading out.. Can get Hairy quick if you get a 15 to 20 east to nor east wind..

Sat. or Sun. may be your best days after this front.. Should be clear and cold... Good luck D.F.[excited]

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Truely anywhere from Richmond to the Chick river. But, the Virginia Catfish Asso. has a tournament this Saturday out of Jordan point. 80% of the participants will head down river. Lots fish the curve near Flowerdew creek and the next curve down river near Sturgeon Point.

Just use fresh bait and drop it infront of some kind of structure or channel ledge.

Dayton

·
Registered
471 Posts
D. F. did you see the picture of the catfish Sherman B caught in Surry off of the bank. Something like 50lbs I believe. Somebody told me she went 68, but the pic didnt look that big. There have been some huge catfish caught out of the discharge at the plant. The problem though are the little ones. I know guys that have hung fish out there they couldnt stop. I know a guy that caught one about two weeks ago that measure 40 inches out of the discharge canal, and then a couple of months before that someone hung one in there that went straight to the river never stopped.

PLEASE dont come into the discharge unless you feel like being arrested!![wink]

·
Registered
17 Posts
E.R. Have'nt seen it yet. I'll see him around this weekend...
One of my boys from Southhampton put 4 in the boat yesterday for a total of about 110lbs... All went back.. will try to get the pic's..
They got them right at the outlet.. They also said that they had a pile of them at a pound to about 3 pound range..
Note: All on tube baits... Go figure..
They said that one boat landed a Joe Nailer.. The scales they had only went to 50lbs.. and it bottomed right out... So it sounds as if it was 50 plus easy..

Later D.F.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yep you guessed correct did not go up this weekend instead we went to blackwater and caught about 17 cats about 3 to 10 lbs friday night had fun anyway got some plunge drank some beverages and froze.
hey
i saw sherman bailey cats he caught 2 weeks ago and checked 1 citation 40 '' and one 38 '' dont know the poundage but nice fish saw a pic he showed me of a 47lb. cat from the shore
anyway thanks for the help
james

1 - 19 of 19 Posts