Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an old man, and remember the days that we fished with no fishfinder. But since in the recent years I have been spoiled by recent amazing electronics, I thought we never could catch fish without seeing them first.
We were riding on Captain Ricks 28' Pro Kat Center Console with twin Yamaha 225 Four Strokes. We traveled 60 miles offshore, west of Sarasota to 160’ depth. The Pro Kat’s ride was very comfortable, and fast. He cruised 35 miles smoothly. Once we were on the first spot, Captain told us that he has lost the fishfinder module on his Raymarine combo. Thanks God the GPS module worked. Just by search with our baits at the bottom we managed to have a wonderful day.
Air temperature just perfect 68. Water temperature was cold for that depth, but I only can guess around 60. Fishing on the first quarter, afternoon bite was strong.
Here are the pictures:
http://www.cbeauty.org/Albom52.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
look's like you had a good day after loosing your fish finder. We made it down here to Manasota Key on Lemon Bay. Will be coming out of Stump Pass to get to the Gulf. Do you know of any good spots? I'm an old Virginia boy in the dark down here. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
meredith,
If you have the boat to travel 40 miles offshore here are 4 spots:
42 miles SW
26.29.03 82.44.12
26.29.98 82.43.42
85’

40 miles NW
26.45.98 82.50.74
26.45.96 82.50.72
90’
You need to take heavy tackle with you.
If you don’t have a big boat, there are tons of redfish, and sheepshead inshore.
Please post a report anyhow.
Have fun, and be safe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wishfish,
I have a 27 ft World Cat with 2 200hp Suzuki 4-strokes, so we'll be able to get to those sites. Thanks for the numbers. I've put them in the GPS and they look good. I think the wind is supposed to stop blowing by Saturday, so I'll give them a try. Will definitely let you know how we do. If you're in the Deltaville, VA area and I can help, give me a holar. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wish Fish,
Thanks again for those numbers. We fished the 30 mile wreck twice. First day we caught a lot of porgies. Not one grouper. Day two, caught one yellow tail and one shark sucker. We think the sucker could have been a world record but didn't realize it until after we got home and had already thrown it back. From what we understand no one is catching a lot of grouper out there right now. We had great marks, everything was perfect, but no fish. Oh well, thanks again. Back to VA, they tell me the rock fishing off VA Beach is awesome right now.
Meredith

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Meredith,
When is the closed season for stripped bass at VAB?
Next time plan to go to Madeira Beach, Florida. I give you shelter, food, and put you on some grouper.[smile]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wish Fish,
Rockfish season ends sometime in March. I've got some friends back home that caught 40+ lbs fish today and for the past three weeks they've been tearing them up. My luck, there's no fish to be found when I'm home. Let me know if you're up my way as I'll be fishing VA Beach quite a bit.
Meredith

1 - 8 of 8 Posts