Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,

Does anybody fish the spring trophy run with out the use of stinger hooks in 9" shad. I for one have always used stingers up until last seasons PSCR but I'm in debate about using them this year. The two reasons for change is. I still screw up my fair share of shad tails installing the stinger and I can't seem to remember the last fish I caught on the stinger alone. I'm not concerned with short strikes because It happens with stingers all the time anyway. Would like to hear from other TF'ers on there thoughts/opinions.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I will always use stingers during the season. You have to practice alot with putting the stinger hook in the shad. It has taken me 2 years but I can do it now blindfolded and I can do it in seconds. It is important you do it right so it does not affect how the shad swims. I also like the softer shads, even though you go thru more of them becasue they tear easy but I think they swim better and the fish like them better.:thumbup::bigfish:

Phil (lily):thumbup:

·
Registered
611 Posts
A few years ago, I started putting a bend in the shank of the stinger hook. It is easier for me to rig shads that way...the top part of the shad is much less likely to get all bunched up like they can do on straight hooks.

·
Premium Member
26,251 Posts
Last spring when the PSCR rules came out - I was a little leery of a 9 inch shad without a stinger.

I had no increase with short hits and like the way the shad swims. Once the kill season opened - I left the PSCR lures on and did not bother to add a stinger.

IMHO - The stinger works best before the Rock spawn. Waters are a little cooler - fish not as aggressive.

I rig my stinger so the eye is exposed. Much easier / faster to rig and allows more swimming action.

There might be some new PSCR parachutes with a longer hook shank. I know 3-4 guys were talking about making them.
Another trick is to cut off an inch of a 9 inch shad. This allows to hook to be farther back.

Rock over 28 inches have no trouble eating a lure with a 9 inch shad.
One tip for short hits - try bumping the speed up ( yes , FASTER ) about 1/2 knot.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I typically don't use stingers unless the fish are really short biting and a change of speed didn't resolve the issue. Had to put to many "smaller" fish in the box that I didn't want to keep.

Reel Draggin carries the extended hook Parachute rigs

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Shawn,
Come by the shop when I'm there. I will show you how I rig a stinger. Skip does it different than I do. There are many ways, most guys do it as they are taught.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts