Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished at the m&m today and fished with bunkers but no takes.
Then went to wire lining on the tubes only got one fish not even legal. I was using a sinker slide an #5 circle hooks and cunking bait for about 2 hour till the tide went slack.
Any one have any suggestion about cunking in this area this is all new to me always trolled or wire lined for rocks?:helpsmilie:

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Striper Chunking

Rather unusual, but lately we have been catching them at the end, slack & beginning of both tides, with few or no bites during the tides. Normally a medium speed current/tide is the best on my boat. Of course when the tide is really ripping, baits may spin and the fish won't hit them. So if your baits are spinning you may need better 3 way swivels or may need to add a high quality barrel swivel half way between the hook & 3 way.

Also note you can sort by topic and find more information about chunking for various authors. Some of the clubs have articles on their web sites that can help too.

Hope this is useful.

Tight Lines to All,
Kevin
Weekend Mistress

Coastal Conservation Association-Virginia
Stripers Forever
Central Virginia Sport Fishing

PS You can call me on the cell phone or send a bmail any time. Cell 804 627 1575

·
Registered
563 Posts
I don't know what the lunar cycle is like right now because I haven't been able to fish, but if we have a full moon, it's tough to catch em. That current will be ripping. It seemed as though it was pretty bright outside of my window last night, so I'm guessing that was the problem. I like to fish between those cycles. Always seem to be better for chunking that way. Oh yeah, sometimes we all get our butts kicked on the water. I feel like I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to fishing there, but I've been skunked more than once. Feel free to contact me as well if you have any specific questions.

Carey

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
There will be a full moon on Thursday night. Although some say it makes no difference, my experience over the years has shown that the bite turns off a couple of days prior to a full moon and lasts for a couple of days past the moon phase. About three or four days after the phase, the bite seems to be very aggressive.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have been fishing there for many years, and usually take home fish every time. I went out this afternoon from 4 until 730, and didnt get the first bite. Chuncked at 2 different spots with no luck. We also trolled the bridge without a single bite. This is the first time that I have been skunked there this year, but like Carey said, sometimes it is tough.

Troy

·
Registered
26 Posts
fished the m & m on 11/11 early afternoon through the (late) tide change. picked up 4 keepers ( 19, 20, 22, 24) on cut bunker. it took 3 hours to get em and thats all we boated.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Fished everyday since Sat

Sat ( 5 days before full moon, FM) -- limited out on 28"
Sun (4 days before FM) -- 1/2 day 4 fish avg. 26", one fish at 34"
Mon (3 days before FM) -- killed them limited out 28", one fish at 32"
Tues (2 days before FM) -- tough limited out avg only 22", TOUGH BITE

Fished same spot all days and I can tell you I'm not fishing Wed ( 1 day before FM) or Thurs (FM). I gotta work sometime.

Schoolies bite anytime. Mature fish don't.

Good Fishin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.