Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few days ago, we caught up with some friends to exchange Christmas presents… I got a Fitbit. Doing what I do and having done what I've done, I laugh at the idea of such a gimmick.

The next day I went to the gym for a light workout – a Murph. 1 mile run warm up, then 100 pull ups, 200 push ups and 300 squats. When you are done then run another mile. No matter how fit you are, you can’t do it all at once and even the best need to break it up into little chunks – walking around a lot to catch your breath… Then I went on with my day, to work and such: walked what I know is 2.5 miles and climbed 24 flights of stairs. At the end of the day, the fitbit said I did 7.5 miles/13000+ steps which is pretty spot on with what “my program” says.

The next day, I had a similar day with 14500 steps – pretty impressive for $2.50 in parts and $75 in marketing accelerometer that you wear on your wrist with a “Walking Algo” trying to figure out what you are doing.

Then there was today….

I got up and walked 200 feet to the boat. Got in the boat and started running to Overson’s to get some gas (we called him yesterday to confirm that he would be there this morning). Right out in front of Krentz we came across the birds – lots of them. We each made a cast and as soon as our Storms hit the water we were hooked up – 11’ of water, 5” storms. We bailed 20" – 28” fish for 30 minutes before my wife said, “If we need gas we need to go now, Freddy is leaving at 930!”. So we left – I had caught 12 and my wife 8.
We got gas and came back through the little cut but by this time, the birds were up in Parker’s cove but we needed to get back and unwrap presents. Go home and walked 200’ back up to the house. Opened presents then headed back out... 200 more feet…

Gave Yeo’s #4 and #6 another look but nothing, we headed out to #9 and once there gave my new binos a quick try… About a mile up towards Sandy Pt., there was a huge birdshow complete with 3 – 4 separate gannet beehives – maybe 1000 terns, 250 herring gulls, 50 pelicans and 3 dozen loons. ..

The first hour and a half we caught maybe 50 fish between the two of us. Most where 22” – 28” with 3 or 4 over 30. Then it suddenly got hard to catch despite the fish finder being completely lit up. We changed up, size, color, shape, top, bottom but then figured out that they were on 1.5” anchovies. Trouble was that we went that small, it was dink city – maybe 20:1 12 – 16 inchers for every 20+” . Somewhere in the process we noticed that the gannets, herrings, and pelicans and vanished and there were nothing but terns left.

We moved around and eventually found the big fish again – another 25 20 – 28” fish between us.
By this time, now high tide, the entire 30’ – 40’ contour from Sandy Point to #9 was covered with birds

Then the Fitbit bracelet starts going off to the point where I had to look at my phone – 18000 steps!

Wow, never thought fishing was such a work out! Apparently the walking algo is completely different than the fishing/reeling hand algo! I wonder if they have a teenager motion filter? Apparently the product needs a little refinement!

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good a time as any for first post.
I would have run right into you yesterday morning but boat didn't want to start. Damn!
I saw those birds when I finally got out around 3 n gave it a half ass chance n kept going.
Assumed it was just bait.
Nice going!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts