Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 i/o albemarle with a volvo V8. A few weeks ago the fiberglass muffler started rattling at idle.Its quiet at speed.The outside of the muffler looks perfect.Is there a place that fixes fiberglass mufflers or fuel tanks near Annapolis?The replacement would have to be custom made and is very expensive.Are there any problems running with the rattling? Is it foolish to repair a 10 yr old muffler?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got a reply on the albemarle board noting that the muffler has fire retardant material inside that cannot be fixed.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now got a few replies on The Hull Truth suggesting a fiberglass place could fix this and the muffler is never that hot due to the water flow.Repairing a fiberglass muffler is beyond my skill level although I could get it in and out.There must be some place around Annapolis that repairs fiberglass fuel tanks or mufflers.Any suggestions? With 200 plus reads I would bet someone has run into this.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Now got a few replies on The Hull Truth suggesting a fiberglass place could fix this and the muffler is never that hot due to the water flow.Repairing a fiberglass muffler is beyond my skill level although I could get it in and out.There must be some place around Annapolis that repairs fiberglass fuel tanks or mufflers.Any suggestions? With 200 plus reads I would bet someone has run into this.
Hey Mike,May be a long shot,But call Denny....He also does excellent Fiberglass work and You already know His Mechanical abilities...:))

·
Registered
162 Posts
Can you post some pics of the muffler? Who is it made by?

I cut up and reshaped a waterlift fiberglass Centek muffler last year to make it fit. It's not overly difficult, but you do need to be confident with fiberglass and use the high temp vinylester resins.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brad.I have no experience with glass except filling in cracks and drilling holes.The boat dealer on Kent Island called me back and explained although it can be repaired the cost would not make sense due to the mufflers 11 yr old vintage and told me to get a new one built. So now I'm back to price quotes.Its a centek muffler but was originally made by Marine muffler.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Get the dimensions of the muffler and go to Centek's web site and see if one fits. http://www.centekindustries.com/product_descriptions.html

I'm guessing it will be $400-500 for the muffler, maybe double that price if you have to modify it too. West Marine doesn't advertise it, but they can special order it and ship to store for free.

If it's an I/O and the exhaust goes through the drive, do you really need one?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its a I/O but the exhaust goes thru a huge pipe above water in the stern.I've been noticing the boat roaring this year.Got bids from 3 vendors including West and Fawsetts was the lowest.The prices mentioned above are close.The custom build doubles the price.I was thinking the quotes were to high because of the lower costs of the premade units, but at this point I'm happy there's a place to build it.My last I/O with a 454 had a thru exhaust and no muffler and was a lot quieter than my current boat.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mikeg, Be happy to look at your muffler. I am in the Annapolis area, and have modified and or fixed many fiberglass mufflers over the years.
Most fixes are under $200.00,If you still want it fixed you can call me at 443-221-9765 Regards, Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts