Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished with one of the legends of the Patapsco, Colonel John Pearce. Thought things were going to finally cut loose as at first light we came across feeding birds on a slick with that sweet smell of carnage! However, after a few casts and no marks we headed south to find warmer waters. Marked some fish at Sandy Pt...we each finally got the skunk off with a schoolie a piece and that was that. Never found water over 50* Did find marks here and there but they weren't biters. Only saw 2 or 3 other (smallish) fish caught. I think I'm dreading tomorrow's report for this evening...

Hey JP, thanks for the invite, a good time was still had with the chase, still, it was a pretty nice day out there today.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was out from 8-3 and only had 8 fish. Tough day. Two of the fish were around 6 lb and the rest smaller. Still, great to be out before the rain hits.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
same

one fish as soon as we got out, thought it would be a good day but no dice.

dirty water along elk neck st park

very clear warm water in the center of the flats and south.

lots of boats out, maybe it spooked the fish.

couldn't find water above 49.

will try again next weekend.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I was out with two others in the boat from 9 til 1 and got a total of six fish. Nothing big. Marked most fish about a half mile to the west of Turkey Point, but they weren't hungry. Beautiful day on the water. Too bad its gonna change.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Phil,Sorry you and JP couldn't find them.Did you guys try farther up river?
Was hoping to get up there next week but things are not looking so good now.At Least you guys are fishing and not working.

Thanks for the report
Roger

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Me and my good old retired buddy Mike were out there too. Didn't realize you were out fishing as well JP. We were talking about you, wondering what you were doing. :D Sorry we didn't run into you and uncle phill. Anyway, we fished all day and only managed 12 fish between us. It wasn't anything like Thursday evening when we got into some good ones. Warmest water we found was 50.5 and that wasn't for long. Mostly it was 47.5 to 48.5 or so. Probably still a little too cold and today, a few too many boats.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I went out this afternoon, w/ a couple friends. Nothing, we pulled the skunk. Nothing on the Northern end of the flats, did see one caught across from Port deposit in the River. Oh well, hopefully the Nor'Easter doesn't screw things up too bad.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Phil, sounds like a mixed day for everyone. I had to hang around the house to get my vessel safety check yesterday.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You know it had to be a tough day with you two fish slayers being humbled. Good effort I am sure.
PS: Sorry your normal ride was busy catching flounder with me :)
Maybe you should have gone mountain biking :)

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
as Phil said yesterday morning was a real tough slow day, we only saw 3 other sm. fish caught, we circled the entire flats and also went all the way to Lapidum, out if front of Lapidum we had the best marks of the day, one time my FF read 7' when we were in 30', all red jelly beans on the Furuno, no bites, not even on cut or whole herring, one of the toughest days I've had up there, the one thing I usually throw on tough days up there is a smalll yo-zuri jerk bait, usually it works but I forgot to toss it, OH well, still a nice day.

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
we found 50* water several times, middle of flats was cooler, about 45* - 46* but it was perfectly clear, could see the sandy bottom in almost 5".

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
OK JP what are you trying to do take my fishing partner away from me???:nono: Sorry you guys had a rough day but at least you were not skunked. Capt. Skip, Jack and I where catching some flounder down south and haveing a great time. I even let Skip take the helm and you should had seen him behind the wheel of my Skiff he looked right at home. Looks like this rain may mess things up for a little while but I hope to get out next Saturday and Phill WILL be fishing with me. :D

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
We got skunked Ste. Dirty frank:

I think the dirty water at Elk Neck comes from the section of shoreline with the rocks on it very muddy there.

We saw some birds feeding on small stuff at the channel between fish batt and the other small island. no marks tho..

I think the big PM tide was better fishing than the small AM tide..

We did see an early morning beaver :eek2: :clapping2: :nono: . Well maybe it was an otter...:helpsmilie: .

MG

·
Registered
32 Posts
JP
We had the same tough day.
We threw most things in the box at em
We did pick up a couple on the Yo - Zuri sp
Beautiful day on the water though

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
first topwater fish

My buddy came out from Hagerstown for his annual trip. Ran down to TP where the warmest water was in the am. Nothing on the jig. My buddy had me 3 to 0 by noon on a big bomber plug. One went 12 lbs, 28". I changed my stickbait to a gold one and finally I broke my skunk north of the fleet with a schoolie and then a nice 15#, 32". My buddy got another schoolie. When the tide died so did the bite. We werent done yet. The front blew in and we hit the shallows. Found 51-52 degree water at 4ft. Wore our arms out throwing huge topwater plugs. Finally my giant pencil popper got crushed by a 22#, 36" nice-un (not quite bubbage). Great to see the explosion. Hope this front doesnt screw things up to a short flats season.

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Steve - not trying to steal Phil from you, just keeping him happy by taking him fishing.

sounds like most had a poor day like us, weird tides also, it seemed to be going out all day, maybee it had something to do with them running water, maybee something with the winds the day before, I'm pretty sure this rain and high winds will mess up fishing for a little bit, I was supposed to be off this wed. but might work and take the vacation day when fishing and the WX gets better

1 - 20 of 23 Posts