Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post ever. Don't know if this will work, but here goes. Been sucking info from this site for two years, fishing flats since C&R started. Previous big fish, 3 at 45 inches with one beach ball going 50+ pounds, digital scale overranged! We don't fish the way most do but sometimes different works. Using 7 foot musky sticks with 50 or 80# braid. Gets fish in quickly for safe release. Generally throw 9-12 inch musky baits. Anyway, on 4/10 drove from Pa to the required stop at Herb's then launched from Havre de Grace Marina at noon. Big baits worked again. 10 fish as follows in inches: 36, 40, 41, 42, 42.5, 43, 43, 46, 46.5 and 50. The three biggest by spring scale went 38, 40, 50#. About ten more hooked and lost with many more monsters swiping at boat side. Drives you nuts!!! But what a thrill! A pure case, as seems to be common here, of being at the right place at the right time, pure dumb luck! The best baits that day, 9" blue back grandma and 8" polish shad. Caught in 8-12 feet depth, don't know what the area is called, South of the barge mooring between Havre de Grace marina and the west edge of the flats. 41 to 43 degree temps with 3-4 foot clarity. Air temp cold, winds NW. My fishing parnter got the three biggest, but thats OK, I caught three fat 43 inchers, I,m happy! Might be able to post pictures later, had one of those fishing/ boating disasters: the batteries fell out of the old film camera after 3 pics and might have rewound. On my way to camera shop to see whats there and buy a new digital. I hope the backup camera worked. If that picture of his 50 does't develop, Ill probably will be looking for a new fishing partner! 4/11, different day, wind from the E and SE, same temp and clarity. Fished from 8-3:30. One 34 incher. Fish done gone or lockjawed! Got a little rough for the bass boat( looking at a real boat, a Parker) so headed in, HAPPY. Thanks Maryland and Tidalfish for the great day! See Ya on the flats. Demfish

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Great stuff,Thanks.

Guess we need to get some of these(9" blue back grandma and 8" polish shad).

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,708 Posts
welcome to the board, and thanks for the report

·
Registered
33 Posts
You nailed it on the head!!! right place right time That is why you put in the hours to get a moment like that awesome. I just thought I might add a suggestion regarding some of the fish being lost at the boat. That braid is great but the no stretch can make it easy for fish pull loss with a last minute surge. I lighten up on the drag when they get close. In addition I put a shock leader of about 10 ft on my braid (30LB) fluro. This may help. It sounds like you got them to the boat quickly with plenty of energy left which is good. You need to release these monsters in good shape. What a day for guys!!!! Get a good camera!!!

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Lies! All Lies! Musky tackle and plugs won't catch bass, everyone knows you need BKDs and BAs. (ix nay on the usky may) Think they bought it?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
great report,but I must ask coming down from Pa why stop at Herb's and then trailer all the way to Harve de Grace just to pay the toll and launch,would have been closer to use Elk Neck St park or one of the local ramps in Northeast or Charlestown,maybe you just didn't know about those ramps..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Some musky guys will agree----If U can catch the elusive musky on a lure, the eating machine striper will definitley eat that lure. Muskies are one of the most difficult fish to make hit a lure, trust me I've been doing it for 15 years. I look forward to Striper season because here U only need the right elements-water temps, water clarity, & bait fish! Stripers are eating machines and when they are on, they will eat almost anything big!!!! I always use a formula that everyone will argue Big Bait=Big FISH

1 - 20 of 23 Posts