Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
TF-

Capt Pete is supposed to have his first charter today (if he did not cancel). Capt Mike took two charters yesterday with bait and lures. Morning was a bust, did not talk to him yet about the afternoon trip. I am taking my rig to the slip today and will check things out and see if any can be caught on lures or flies. There are a number of guys going today. The satellite pics still look bad in the flats and north and south of the flats, but the level at Harrisburg is approaching a reasonable level of under 7'. The on the water pics look bad too.

Capt Mike found temps to 53 degrees yesterday and areas of visibility up to 12" (some spots as little as 4"). Conditions are getting close. More fish have to find their way to the flats. Some have been caught on bait but that has not been consistent either. When we get a big flush of cold muddy water for this long, the fish tend to hang back. Maybe the full moon will bring a big slug of fish into the flats. That is the optimist talking.

If your charter is next week you should be in good shape.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Bill
All the signs say that there should be fish on the flats. Up in the river just about every rock is loaded with comorants, the gulls are working, eagles and osprey overhead. In past years this would indicate herring, perch, and shad. But to be truthful I haven't seen any herring yet in the creeks but I have heard reports of good catches of perch on the river. The shad most be in because DNR was shocking them yesterday at Lapidum. Bad news, few if any boats on the river, yesterday it was still high, fast, muddy, and very dangerous.
Wayne B.

·
Registered
83 Posts
heard from a guide who went this past weekend, he said still dirty water, cold, lots of big debris and no action after working it hard all day. But he was optomistic about a turn soon if water clarity improves

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Not too cold with temps to 56 degrees. Not so muddy with vis to 10"-12". Fish are scarce, however. Some are caught on bait but that is not even real hot. Lures and flies are tough. Talked to one guy who caught a few today on bass assassins. He found a small pod, caught a few and lost them for the rest of the day.

I mostly wanted to get my boat down and set up my slip, but did fish the afternoon. My bud used flies and I used a variety of lures. The highlight of the day was when an aggressive "sport perch" grabbed my 7" assassin and nearly tore the rod out of my hands. He had a real bad attitude and measured a whopping 4". That was it.

I think the constant flushing of cold and not too clean water has kept the fish south. In addition there is usually a week every year when the fish are very hard to catch and it often coincides with full moon which was yesterday.

There is very cold, windy weather coming, so the "sport perch" bite will probably be off until the middle or end of next week. It is going to be a very short C & R season this year.

I am glad the Susky Flats fishing in the spring has become a very minor part of my annual fishing schedule. It certainly has not provided dependable fishing in recent years like times past. Not sure if it will ever turn around. I fished about 20 days last year and had 3 or 4 that I considered excellent fishing.

There was a 52 pound fish caught up in the river today on herring. We used to catch 40-50 pound fish in the flats on lures every year in the past. My best was 56 pounds but that was over 20 years ago.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the updates. I have a couple of weeks before my trip to the flats. Had a great day down at Breezy Point (trolling, I know, I know). Planning on going out for an early trip Sat morning aroung Thomas Point/Bloody Point. I was wondering what this cold weather will do to the fish traveling to the north - maybe nothing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts