Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told I could post this and that it was official. Beginning May 16th, when the spring season opens further down the bay, fishermen on the flats will be able to keep 1 slot limit fish. I do not know the exact size, but am thinking 18 - 25.

So, if the water temperatures stay cool, you can fish the flats from March 1 to May 15th for C & R and beginning May 16th, you can keep 1 slot limit fish until June 1 when you can keep two fish from 18 - 28.

Ele

·
Registered
700 Posts
Ele, glad to hear it went through. When you find the size could you post it?
Also about time to get ready for shad fishing. A suggestion, last year the best colors for the darts was orange and black and chartruse with red. I'll be coming down in a couple of weeks to start stocking up on darts, do you have any in stock? Also, the jury is still out on the spoons you had last year. Is there any that look more like the old Nunguessers you used to sell available? If not might have to go with some gold Tony #12's.
Lance

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
So if the water warms, like the last few years, they will close it from May 1st-16th and reopen again? What about south of the flats? Will that area open up on May 16th or do we have to wait until June 1st? Sounds like there are too many variable to start celebrating just yet. I'm just worried that a one fish limit will quadruple the number of boats out there.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Like Salmo trutta, I got mixed feelings about it from the standpoint of increased fishing pressure. It would be nice to keep a rockfish closer to home though. However, by that time Im usually heading south anyway for other species anyway.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I don't like the bigguns for the table, a picture works, but I never did understand why it was ok to keep fish south and not at the flats. Being able to keep something in the mid-20's works for me, especially for a smaller boat since it's usually brutal at CB or Breezy in the spring.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I find this board funny. You have people criticizing those who chum, those who catch and release in the summer, those who keep fish over 40" , those who fish tournaments and just about everyone is in favor of not only keeping a fish on the flats but fishing in the area where these bass spawn while they are spawning. Doesnt this disturb the eggs? I dont know. Where are extremists? They must fish the flats so this doesnt concern them :p (stir the pot)

As for the fish news, thumbs up. I have never fished the flats but really am excited to give it a whirl :cool:

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Just as a CORRECTION. I emailed Marty Gary from MD DNR, the C&R season will close on May 3rd. It will be closed to any Striper Fishing until May 16th when the slot limit season will most likely occur.

So it will be closed from May 3rd until May 15th and then reopen on May 16th.

Brandon

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Porkchunker: the 30,000 figure is for the Trophy Season. This new allowance for the Flats is after the Trophy season is over. And it's a slot fish....not a trophy.
Then I retract my statement, and believe we should not take any off the Flats.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brandon, the closing of the season on May 3rd is dependent on the water temperatures. If, the water temperature is over 65 degrees on May 3rd, it will close until May 16th. If, however, the water temperature is not over 65 degrees, it will remain open until it does reach 65 degrees, or until May 15th, whichever comes first.

This regulation was put in last year. Last year, however, because we had a few warm days, shortly before May 3rd, they anticipated that by May 3rd, the water temperature would go over 65 degrees. It reached 65 on May 3rd, but took a sharp plunge because the temperature dropped, and remained under 65 until after May 15th.

The slot limit fish will not be over 25".

These fish, between 18 & 25" are considered resident fish and not migratory fish. Therefore, they will not be counted in the 30,000 trophy migratory fish.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts